3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Miles per gallon- What are you getting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:20 PM
2008dodgeram1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy **** watch out with those e3's one of mine got to hot and broke off and caused 4500 dollars of engine damage in my old 02 4.7.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Thats why they say replace with the cheap Champion Coppers.! Just Because you spend more money dosent mean you get more power!

AVG. 12.5
Highway 15-18
Town 12

Old 08-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Wink

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
Yea I'm not saying they won't work. If you look at the poll there are people who use them with success as well as some with failures. Probably the main reason I and I'm sure others use the coppers is because they are WAY cheaper then other plugs and perform almost exactly the same.

Well, it's kind of like using 87 when your truck pings on it, yeah it's cheaper but doesnt run very well in some Hemis, and when you are only changing plugs, every 3 years or so, why would you go so far as to skimp on plugs, considering they arent that easy to change, and it's not a very desirable job. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but when we're spending hundreds to thousands of dollars to mod our trucks, 80 bucks for a set of good plugs doesnt seem like very much to me

Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I don't disagree with you. But I also don't disagree with Dodge telling me to use copper plugs that get changed at 30k and using gas of a grade higher than 87. Car Corporations may lie but I trust the engineers and their recommendations

Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Cool

And I don't disagree with you. But I also don't disagree with Dodge telling me to use copper plugs that get changed at 30k and using gas of a grade higher than 87. Car Corporations may lie but I trust the engineers and their recommendations
Did you ever consider that Dodge, just maybe, wants you to change plugs at 30,000 miles to be able to rape their customers with LARGE labor charges for plug installation, of which many will never attempt to do themselves. Remember 08, their engineers work for chrysler corporation, and do and say what Dodge sees as good for the bottom line. Changing plugs at 30,000 miles is ridiculous. My first set came out, by me, at 50,000 and I should have just put them back in and ran them another 50,000 miles. Don't be naive and accept that what is in the maintenance manual is there for your protection, it's there for their profitability, because many of the recommended procedures are recommended at intervals that are completely unnecessary, and are there for one purpose only, profitability for the dealerships. If you don't believe me, thats ok, but don't waste too much money while learning. I really think you are smart enough and should be able to see through these scams

Old 08-30-2012, 12:16 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

I agree with you alot but they also know alot about how to keep their cheap parts from breaking sometimes with prevenative maintenance. I agree that you shouldnt have to change the plugs every 30,000 miles but it is a good estimate to go off of since they have done some research and all. But i will agree with the fact that they want you to change everything a litttle to early.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Red face

Originally Posted by willdikem66
I agree with you alot but they also know alot about how to keep their cheap parts from breaking sometimes with prevenative maintenance. I agree that you shouldnt have to change the plugs every 30,000 miles but it is a good estimate to go off of since they have done some research and all. But i will agree with the fact that they want you to change everything a litttle to early.

Who says they have done research on plug life...THEM. With some of their recommendations and the intervals they say it is neccessary, I personally will go by my own schedule, that I've derived from multiple brands and multiple cars and trucks over the years. They will get my money only when something happens that I either cant, or wont fix myself. This isn't just Chrysler Corp either, they all act this way

Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

We all know that every thing they do is to make money heck we live in the USA!
Im with you everything ive done between oil changes to ball joints i do my self and i do it at the amount of miles i think they should be done at. Im not arguing with you or anything but they have done some research into the engine and the engine life its not like they just throw a new truck on the market with out driving it and putting some time behind. So listneing to some things they say may pay off.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:52 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I definitely understand that the intervals they put out are premature but I am by no means an expert on determining if my plugs are good or not but i changed mine at 36k and to me it looked like they needed changing, I could be wrong though. You have to have SOME faith in the things the engineers do and say or else why buy their product? Personally I just enjoy getting under the hood or under the truck to fix or work on something so I'm perfectly content with spending $35 every 30k to change plugs. Heck I wish there was more stuff i could do but I don't have the mula! haha

Old 08-30-2012, 04:47 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Yea I definitely understand that the intervals they put out are premature but I am by no means an expert on determining if my plugs are good or not but i changed mine at 36k and to me it looked like they needed changing, I could be wrong though. You have to have SOME faith in the things the engineers do and say or else why buy their product? Personally I just enjoy getting under the hood or under the truck to fix or work on something so I'm perfectly content with spending $35 every 30k to change plugs. Heck I wish there was more stuff i could do but I don't have the mula! haha
X100

If i could spend 30 bucks to get my truck to run right every time it started crapping out id be one happy camper

Quick Reply: Miles per gallon- What are you getting?