3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Oil filter size?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I learned a long time ago only to believe what I could prove to myself or make happen with my hands. I quit believing a lot of things on the internet a long time ago.
If you dont believe that they are ****, go cut one open. You'll crap your pants.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rideon20z
so i have beeen using fram oooopppps my local store sells fram and thats what i buy, so i went and looked today they also sell a mobile 1 filter and a ac delco filter , hammer where do you find the wix filter ? you say they are preaty good . so whats the best for the money you know they all come off in 3 months or so anyway!

You can pick up a Wix in any NAPA where it's branded as the NAPA GOLD filter...

Old 01-22-2011, 01:15 AM
03celicagts
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see TRD is in that list. Nice!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 AM
PurplDodge
Legend

You are a rich fool if you use Royal Purple. It is the most expensive oil on the shelf. And Royal Purple has nothing to back their claims up with...except testimonials. HA!

Old 01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
You are a rich fool if you use Royal Purple. It is the most expensive oil on the shelf. And Royal Purple has nothing to back their claims up with...except testimonials. HA!

I dunno, I've gotten to be pretty close friends with guys at two different performance shops over the years and both shops, located in different parts of the country, both only use RP in their builds.

Even though I have only used it a couple of times (caught sales), and currently don't have it in either of my vehicles, the quietest my "hemi tick" has ever been is when it had RP in it and the best gas mileage I ever clocked on my Grand Cherokee was when I had RP in it.

I will also say that when I put the front receiver hitch on my GC, it blocked the lower third of my radiator and I immediately noticed my GC running hotter on the highway. I contemplated going to a lower thermostat, but instead dropped a bottle of their Purple Ice in my radiator. It now runs about 10* cooler or about what it would run going to the next cooler thermostat.

So, I'd say based on my experiences, they pretty much live up to their claims. I probably should run their oil full time, but I have a hard time paying their price when I can catch other 100% full synthetics on sale in 5 gallon jugs (and usually with a free premium filter) which lets me change my oil for half (or less) than using RP...

Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Well, I've never seen a SAE test that proves that Royal Purple is any better than the run or the mill Mobil 1, Valvoline, or Pennzoil. Plus I can do an oil change for $25 with Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic and a NAPA Gold, while it would cost me $65 with Royal Purple and a K&N filter. Its crazy and expensive for me to run it in a 12 year old truck with 188,000 miles when I will never ever notice the difference between it and regular synthetics. Even if it brought me a .5 MPG increase, over 5,000 miles I doubt it would make up for the extra $40 I spent on it.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 01-22-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:59 PM
NHHEMI
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pay no more, per individual qt bottles( not talking bulk jugs )for RP, than I would pay for synthetics from Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc... I pay $6.50-$7.50 p/qt( just went up )depending on where I get it locally. The name brand synthetics listed above run anywhere from $6.25-$7.25 p/ qt bottle.

What exactly are you looking for as far as back up?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by NHHEMI
I pay no more, per individual qt bottles( not talking bulk jugs )for RP, than I would pay for synthetics from Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc... I pay $6.50-$7.50 p/qt( just went up )depending on where I get it locally. The name brand synthetics listed above run anywhere from $6.25-$7.25 p/ qt bottle.

What exactly are you looking for as far as back up?
The Autozone where I used to get RP was around $8.50 a quart. I now get Mobil 1, Pennzoil, or Valvoline for $20-$24 for a 5 quart jug.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The Autozone where I used to get RP was around $8.50 a quart. I now get Mobil 1, Pennzoil, or Valvoline for $20-$24 for a 5 quart jug.
Yeah, that's my biggest issue. It's running $8.50+ a quart around here. I won't dispute that at worst it's every bit as good as other 100% true synthetics and probably is better than most. On my last oil change in the truck, I got a 5 Qt. jug of Castrol Edge with a coupon on the jug for a free K&N filter for $29.99. Then the extra two quarts were $7.29 each.

The one time I bought it, my local advance was discontinuing the 10w/30 and 5w/30 flavors in favor of only carrying 5w/20. They ran those two for $5.99 a quart, so I jumped on it. They had enough for one change in the truck and two changes in the Jeep. When it was gone, it was gone.

Even assuming RP is better than Edge, am I going to see any of it in a truck that almost never sees 4000 rpm and when it does it's for a mere second or two?

I mean I ain't talking about cheaping out with WallyWorld brand conventional oil here, but a viable 100% synthetic.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Alright cool it!

First of all, I didn't have any problem with Matt's post other than maybe a little harsh, but he didn't call the guy on DT by name and I thought he was making a point, not much different than when I said that I couldn't stand guys who were so smug when they were dead wrong, which was a generalized statement and not directed at anyone. Not naming the "guy on DT" to me made the post within boundaries.

NHHemi, I thought you took it a little far, especially when he didn't call you out by name, by I let it slide, cause I tend to let everybody get their say, at least to the point where I think it crosses a line.

'Dog is right, but I think if I had stepped in, I would have deleted the posts in question and went the PM route, which I often do. I think I've even sent Matty one a time or two just to get my view across without laying it out for everyone to see.

Matt, if you feel you gotta go, go. We have lost some good members from time to time. Truth be known though, a fair share of guys who left the time I'm sure you refer to were troublemakers here and started sh*t everytime someone didn't agree with them. Since they left I think I've had to step in on a thread maybe twice. When they were here it was almost a daily thing. Sure there are a few guys I miss who were very productive members but a few more I don't. It's up to you, as far as I'm concerned you are a valued member here, but I really don't need the "I'll leave in a second" comments everytime you get your nose bent.

I'm going back in and taking out the questionable posts. I'm not going to shut the thread down, as there is some good information here.

Anybody wants to talk about it, PM me. If you two feel the need to carry on the discussion, PM each other...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-22-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil filter size?