3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How do I get more MPG out of my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
rno172
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get more MPG out of my truck?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD Hemi. And this thing blows through gas like a Rock Band on coke. I used to get 10-12MPG before I changed out the 20 inch tires for 17 inch BF Good Rich all terrain TA/KO’s which got it up to 15 MPG on a good day. However I would like to get this thing in the 18-25 MPG range. I also have reprogrammed the truck with a Diablo Sport predator and am changing out the filter for a K&N filter.

I will consider r almost anything to get the MPG up so state any ideas that you have.

I look forward to hearing what you guys think,

-Andre

Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can forget 18-25 out of a 4x4 Hemi. My Chrysler 300C barely manages 21. What you're getting now is just about right.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Blacksport
Captain

You want 18-25? Mind as well get a 4cyl Honda. This is a 5500-6000lb truck. I wish I could even get the 15 you get!!! I'm lucky if I get 13-14!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 PM
klruff1
Rookie

Stay off the gas pedal! Filled my 05 Hemi Daytona up on the way home from work the other day and reset the mpg meter on the overhead computer. The road home is a 2 lane backroad through the pine barrons on NJ, 55 mph speedlimit, so I just cruised at that speed and stayed light on the gas. At one point the computer was reading over 23 mpg's, settled down to about 22 mpg's, then I hit the light where I needed to make a left turn onto rt 72 east and watched the mpg's tank as I sat there idleing at the red light. By the time I got home after going through town, I was still above 20mpg's, I think it was actually 21.3 or so, but, then driving around town killed it, back down to 16-17mpg's overall. I was very pleased with the slow cruising 55mph mpg's though. My truck is new to me, got it about a month ago, so it is stock, and I'm not sure yet if it needs any filters, fluid changes or spark plugs, taking it to my friends shop this Friday to do some maintenance and also see if we can figure out why the CEL came on twice a few weeks ago, with 2 different codes. The CEL has not come on since, so we suspect a coil pack or wire since the CEL came on while I was driving in the rain. It hasn't rained since that day and the CEL hasn't come on either after we reset the light. Got the onboard co-pilot pludded into the maintenance port, waiting to capture the CEL.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM
rno172

Damnit......I had this problem previously with my 1996 suburban with a 350. I was getting 15MPG. Then I reprogrammed it and put a K&N air filter in it and started getting 23-25 MPG. It was also lowered so that might of had something to do with it.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:16 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah 10-12 (sad to say) is about average. Bigger rims/tires, lifts, poor gas, old O2s, bad air filters, low tire pressure, bad plugs, dirty TB, ECT all contribute to low MPGs

Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 PM
nateroach
Veteran

18-25 mpg... Ha this guys funny!!

It's usually pretty big accomplishment if someone averages over 16-18 MPG's in these trucks. The overall weight of the truck and the brick like aerodynamics all add up to poor mileage. keeping up on your routine maintenance (plugs, oil diff, trans, throttle body, tire pressure) will help maximize mileage, but wont get you into the 20 mpg range your looking for.

nateroach

Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by klruff1
Stay off the gas pedal! Filled my 05 Hemi Daytona up on the way home from work the other day and reset the mpg meter on the overhead computer. The road home is a 2 lane backroad through the pine barrons on NJ, 55 mph speedlimit, so I just cruised at that speed and stayed light on the gas. At one point the computer was reading over 23 mpg's, settled down to about 22 mpg's, then I hit the light where I needed to make a left turn onto rt 72 east and watched the mpg's tank as I sat there idleing at the red light. By the time I got home after going through town, I was still above 20mpg's, I think it was actually 21.3 or so, but, then driving around town killed it, back down to 16-17mpg's overall. I was very pleased with the slow cruising 55mph mpg's though. My truck is new to me, got it about a month ago, so it is stock, and I'm not sure yet if it needs any filters, fluid changes or spark plugs, taking it to my friends shop this Friday to do some maintenance and also see if we can figure out why the CEL came on twice a few weeks ago, with 2 different codes. The CEL has not come on since, so we suspect a coil pack or wire since the CEL came on while I was driving in the rain. It hasn't rained since that day and the CEL hasn't come on either after we reset the light. Got the onboard co-pilot pludded into the maintenance port, waiting to capture the CEL.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you properly calculate the mileage, you'll find the computer is just a wee bit optimistic.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

I find it amusing that instead of helping people with positive Idea's this site bashes the crap out of you for WANTING to try to get better mileage out of these trucks.
They are heavy, yes, but no heavier than any other trucks on the road. Chevy and Ford are kicking our butts on mileage with just as much weight and power.. There has to be mileage left on the table on these trucks.. Lowering the truck is supposed to get you 1% for every inch you lower it. Add a bed cover for 2-3% more, block of half the grille they only need about half the grille to cool these trucks unless you are pulling a monster trailer through the sahara desert.. Go to a mileage rated tire, like michileans.. Get rid of the CAI, huge grille guards and all the extra crap you have in the bed that is not absolutely needed. even with all that you can only pull 10-15% better mileage, 15% of 15mph is 2.25 so 17.25 is pretty much possible and if ya drive like an old lady you might even see 20 out of one of these beasts..
I personaly have e-fan, magnaflow exhaust, bedcover, sit 2" lower, on 245/70x17 michileans. I have been getting 17 mpg average on 91 octane tune and 16.5 on tow tune.. I drive middle of the road old fart/spirited.

Last edited by Plainbroke; 06-08-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by Plainbroke
They are heavy, yes, but no heavier than any other trucks on the road. Chevy and Ford are kicking our butts on mileage with just as much weight and power...
I disagree on that two points...I have a friend who has a 3/4 ton ECLB 96 Chevy that he had on scales at scrap yard and totaled 8000lbs after unloading, but it still included his tools/equipment he carries every day. I weighed my truck at one point and it was very nearing 7000 lbs and all I had was what fits under the back seat. Secondly, though the "rated power" may be similar on the Chevys and Fords whom are killing us in MPG, every one of them I've driven, once you put any kind of a load on them, their MPG DIVE, my truck doesn't even notice a load unless it is getting to about 4000 lbs, and same with my old 01. So we have to pay empty, while our "friends" have to pay if they want to haul anything...I'm sorry, but I bought a truck for a reason and it wasn't to worry about MPG.

Also, it was mentioned that doing all the proper maintenance such as plugs filters, o2 sensors, etc will help...but if you replace all of that as soon as they lose some efficiency (before the service inteval) how much are you really saving vs at the gas pump...If you don't NEED a truck to haul stuff, then the best solution to better MPG is a vehicle engineered for MPG vs hauling loads

Quick Reply: How do I get more MPG out of my truck?