3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Can I tow 10,000 pounds?

Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM
dbelkie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I tow 10,000 pounds?

Hey guys!

Sorry if this question seems a bit silly, but im kinda new to this

I have a Ram 2008 2500 HD. It is gas not diesel. I want to see about getting into RV'ing, so my brother in law has offered me his 26ft 5th wheel if I wanna try it out for a week. I first thought this was going to be no problem, but after reading online, I am find many conflicting stories... things like short boxes should not pull 5th wheels etc etc.

My bro-in-law pulls his with a RAM diesel.

The trailer is about 9800 pounds fully loaded.

My thought was to go get a hitch put in..... I figure it is not money wasted as im getting the use of the trailer for free...... however if we like it.... im thinking the truck will need to be traded for a diesel?

Basically....... am I crazy for trying to pull this RV with my 5.7 hemi next week?

Thanks in advance guys!
Dan

Old 09-06-2011, 12:09 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF.

First, before anything else, please read this:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ra...s-section.html

I will move you to the 3rd Gen Ram section (2002-2008 Rams).

Old 09-06-2011, 01:24 AM
BadHazard
Professional

I have seen guys pull 5th wheels all the time with shortbeds. And even with gas trucks. However; I've never seen anything that big/heavy pulled with a gas. Im pretty sure the max is 9100lbs given the best gears. I wouldn't try it. Trade in on a cummins.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 AM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can check here for tow ratings... http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehicl...vehicleFamily=

Old 09-06-2011, 04:05 AM
Harrison0550
Amateur

According to dodges towing guide "With 4.10 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio [i] You Can Tow 10350 lbs"
With that being said I would upgrade the tires to E rated tires just to be on the safe side. I pulled 10000 lbs with my hemi 2500 over sand mountain a couple of months back and while it can be done it scared the crap out of me and cost me a fortune in gas for a short trip to Chattanooga. IMHO I would say go for it if your just pulling to your local camping ground but if you want to travel the world then time to trade for a diesel.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:56 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The numbers I get are 9150 lbs with 3.73 gears and 11,150 lbs. with 4.10 gears. This is assuming 17" wheels, a weight distributing hitch and trailer brakes.

With a 2500, the man probably won't pull you over and check weight like I've seen them do on 1500 trucks. BUT, keep in mind, even though the truck will handle it, if you are over capacity and have an accident, your insurance company is well within their rights to deny any and all claims. Property damage could be enough to break you and God forbid if there would be personal injury or worse, you could lose everything, including your home.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We pull a 5th wheel with a 2500 long bed with the HEMI. We have 4.10 axle ratio. That is probably the maximum weight but there are a lot of 5th wheels of that size that are lighter if you are thinking about buying one. You need to be pretty sure because you have to drill holes in your bed to install a 5th wheel hitch. You could pick up a used hitch to save money but think about buying the custom install bracket if you do that.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And don't forget -- Ford says you can slap that load onto a plain Jane F150 and hit the highway!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 PM
fewmopar
Rookie

First of all I have a 2006 2500 two wheel drive Hemi laramie 4 dr and it has a 3.73 rear end it has 75,000 miles on it. I bought it 2years ago. Last fall I bought a 32 ft fifth wheel. I think the gross on it is 12,000 Lbs I think that is fully loaded. I change the transmission fluid put in new plugs put my tire presure up to maximine door sticker pressure. I have E tires on it. I put in a fifth wheel hitch with a silder you do need the slider. I also put in a bed saver. And you do need a installation kit for a fifth wheel hitch on a dodge, as for long or short bed truck short bed is fine just make sure you have a slider and use it or you will be replaceing your rear window and repairing the rear cab of your truck. I have put about 4,000 miles pulling this trailer one trip was from Illinois to North Carolina and it did fine The only thing that slowed me down was going up them mountains thats cause I kept getting stuck behind them Fords & Chevys at least thats what I tell every buddy. I use mobile1 oil and change the rear end fluid And I don't push it just take it easy not over 65. I get about 8 mph with that trailer. You'll get mpg more with a diesel but you going to pay a lot more for it. One more thing the truck only drops down about a inch with the fifth wheel hooked up. Its a stock HD suspension

Last edited by fewmopar; 09-06-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:56 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dbelkie
Hey guys!

Sorry if this question seems a bit silly, but im kinda new to this

I have a Ram 2008 2500 HD. It is gas not diesel. I want to see about getting into RV'ing, so my brother in law has offered me his 26ft 5th wheel if I wanna try it out for a week. I first thought this was going to be no problem, but after reading online, I am find many conflicting stories... things like short boxes should not pull 5th wheels etc etc.

My bro-in-law pulls his with a RAM diesel.

The trailer is about 9800 pounds fully loaded.

My thought was to go get a hitch put in..... I figure it is not money wasted as im getting the use of the trailer for free...... however if we like it.... im thinking the truck will need to be traded for a diesel?

Basically....... am I crazy for trying to pull this RV with my 5.7 hemi next week?

Thanks in advance guys!
Dan
Dan,

If you want to send me your VIN via a PM I can tell you what the manufacturer lists as the maximum towing capacity on your specific vehicle. I also agree with Hammer about exceeding your vehicle's towing capacities as it pertains to insurance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I tow 10,000 pounds?