3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil drain plug wrench size and...

Old 04-06-2012, 12:18 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil drain plug wrench size and...

I know on the whole it's a silly question, but i am away till tommorow (so i cannot check my own truck) and wanted to pick up some oil change supplies including a cheap wrench to keep with my filter wrench so i don't have to worry about my nice tools being stolen from my truck.

So, does anybody know off hand the size wrench you need for the stock oil drain plug?

Also, has anybody tracked down an aftermarket magnetic drain plug that fits these trucks?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know off the top of my head what the bolt size is. You can always buy a small magnet and just secure it to the factory bolt with epoxy.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Just get a Fumoto valve and you won't have to think about it again. Seems like the bolt is a 7/16", but I've had the drain valve for so long I've forgotten the bolt size.

As for the magnet, these little guys are amazingly powerful for their size. They should fit on the end of the bolt:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...ets-67488.html

They're about the size of a hearing-aid battery.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

13mm is what you need

Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Just get a Fumoto valve and you won't have to think about it again.
While i like the idea of the Fumoto valves, i prefer a drain plug. ZERO chance of it being inadvertantly opened, it does not stick out far enough to be knocked off by road debris and the oil will drain much faster with no chance of any oil being left behind due to how far the valves threads go up into the pan (Not an issue on Ram's typically).

I had one on my 01.5' Cummins Ram for a week and it had a slight drip from the valve. They agreed to send me a new one, but i was left with 2 equally annoying choices. Find a clean container to hold the 12 quarts of fresh synthetic oil i just put in a week earlier so i can replace the valve, OR, deal with the dripping for 5,000 miles untill the next oil change.

I went a bought a new plastic oil pan to drain the oil and replace the valve. I opened the valve and let it drain untill no more oil was flowing. Then when i unscrewed the valve and removed it, a lot more oil came out. Almost a 1/2 quart. That proved i would always be leaving old oil in the pan and whatever sediment had collected as well. Needless to say i opted to use the stock drain plug from that point on.

On the Cummins forum, people mentioned drilling a series of holes into the threaded area of the Fumoto valve so that this extra oil can drain.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:53 PM
pitbull24
Veteran

Originally Posted by NV290
While i like the idea of the Fumoto valves, i prefer a drain plug. ZERO chance of it being inadvertantly opened, it does not stick out far enough to be knocked off by road debris and the oil will drain much faster with no chance of any oil being left behind due to how far the valves threads go up into the pan (Not an issue on Ram's typically).

I had one on my 01.5' Cummins Ram for a week and it had a slight drip from the valve. They agreed to send me a new one, but i was left with 2 equally annoying choices. Find a clean container to hold the 12 quarts of fresh synthetic oil i just put in a week earlier so i can replace the valve, OR, deal with the dripping for 5,000 miles untill the next oil change.

I went a bought a new plastic oil pan to drain the oil and replace the valve. I opened the valve and let it drain untill no more oil was flowing. Then when i unscrewed the valve and removed it, a lot more oil came out. Almost a 1/2 quart. That proved i would always be leaving old oil in the pan and whatever sediment had collected as well. Needless to say i opted to use the stock drain plug from that point on.

On the Cummins forum, people mentioned drilling a series of holes into the threaded area of the Fumoto valve so that this extra oil can drain.
very interesting, I only have to change my oil once a year, but have contemplated the fumoto on occasion.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 PM
maillists
Default Thank You.

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
13mm is what you need
I appreciate this very short, very correct answer.

I just wish there were less NON-Answers to a very simple specific question.

(Why people who don't have the answer think it's their job to make it more difficult to find the answer by posting incorrect info, I'll never know.)

The following users liked this post:
tony_blanco (11-22-2023)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by NV290
I know on the whole it's a silly question, but i am away till tommorow (so i cannot check my own truck) and wanted to pick up some oil change supplies including a cheap wrench to keep with my filter wrench so i don't have to worry about my nice tools being stolen from my truck.

So, does anybody know off hand the size wrench you need for the stock oil drain plug?

Also, has anybody tracked down an aftermarket magnetic drain plug that fits these trucks?

Thanks in advance!
1/2 inch fits mine perfectly

Old 05-01-2013, 04:51 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

13mm or 1/2"

Old 08-05-2015, 04:00 PM
DeputyMoniker

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
1/2 inch fits mine perfectly
Same here. 13mm is a little loose. 1/2" is perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil drain plug wrench size and...