Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech > 3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How to Improve Gas Mileage in 5.7l HEMI?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:26 PM

Default How to Improve Gas Mileage in 5.7l HEMI?

Hi - I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 5.7-l HEMI. I get about 12.5 mpg, regardless of whether I'm in the city, on the highway, or towing my boat. I'd like to boost that up, with the gas prices bouncing at $4.00 a gallon again.

I've heard about the chips you can add to the engine that helps increase gas mileage. Does anyone have any REAL WORLD experience with these? Do they really work? Any side effects? Any tips would be appreciated!
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ra...s-section.html
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 2005 5.7L 4x4 QC
Send a message via AIM to Chet Ubetcha Send a message via Yahoo to Chet Ubetcha

The cheapest fuel saving mod you can do is buying a lighter right shoe...

Other than driving style, an e-fan and gears would net you some discernible mileage increases, most likely, but there's an investment before actual returns are seen and felt in the wallet. I don't have a SC tuner yet, but from what I've read on here, the "fuel mileage" tune is not really productive.

*EDIT* Also make sure that your tires are properly aired (the smaller and lighter the tire, the better for mileage), your plugs are serviceable, fluids are clean and full synthetic and your sensors and throttle body are clean of gunk and carbon buildup. Just general maintenance can yield the best results.

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 04-13-2012 at 01:02 AM..
Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 2005 5.7,2500,G-56 6spd, 4x4,SB---2005 3500 Dually, 5.9, 4x4, NV5600 6spd, LB
same

Chet pretty much nailed it. The e-fan would be a great place to start, AFTER all the regular maint. items get covered. Basically, its a big high wind resistance block with a lot of weight.

I have a Diablo tuner on mine and with the "econo" tune all it really gets you is a really doggy acceleration when you really need it. No noticeable improvement in mileage. And I measure mine by calculation---not overhead.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 AM

Yeah, I'm running 20" factory rims with P265/75 tires. All stock. I ran my first set of tires for 8 years before I finally had to replace them with a new ($1,000 !) set last summer, so I do make them last by keeping them well inflated. Overall, I keep my Dodge super maintained. The 12.5 mpg hasn't changed since the day I picked it up. I think it's time to start looking for another pickup that might give me 20 mpg or so, as long as I can tow with it. But it's hard to think about dropped $30K or more on a new truck, when mine is paid off, just to save $400 a year on gas.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator

Vehicle: 2014 2500 CTD 4x4

The factory 20s are costing you a bit at the pump, 17s with the same diameter tires would gain you around 2 mpg - probably the biggest bang for the buck. E-fan is a great mod as the initial cost is low and can be made up with fuel savings within a year. Anything else except a good tune up and using synthetic fluids wherever possible will just cost too much for the gains to be made up at the pump without waiting beyond the life of the truck.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I average about 13.5 and my daily driver's engine just decided to take a sh*t VERY prematurely! Which means that for the first time since 2005 my truck is my daily driver. But any major changes to the truck would just take WAY too long to make back at the pump.

Trading in a paid off truck in good working condition for one that might net you 2-3 more MPG just isn't going to be cost effective either. You'll have more in one month of payment than it'll save you on gas in a year...
Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 1982 Toyota celica GT 06 Ram 2500 hemi, 6sp 4x4 2011 Elnatra Touring

Your going to have spend money to gain any increase in mpg, the issues are that tunners CAI and ex work still can buy a you lot of flue, yes over time they pay back, but up front costs are real time money to gain some mpg potential in a truck that was never designed for mpg contest's.

The baisc boaring stuff, tire psi, tune ups, oil changes, mainatance are the best bang for the buck, also 17 in rims and tires as per HammersZ71 post.

Last edited by cyclone429; 04-13-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Professional

Vehicle: 06 ram 1500 qcsb hemi
dudemanbr0ther dudemanbrother

When my 5.7 was bone stock I was avg around 15.5 mpg and after cai, exhaust, diablo intune 91 tune, and e fan I avg 18.1 hand calc'd. E fan is major when city driving. I was getting about 9 mpg via overhead display, after fan it's up to 13 mpg. I dont know if that's the case for everyone but it has been the best upgrade by far IMO.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Champion

Vehicle: 2003 1500 QCSB Hemi 4x2

A 50% increase from the e-fan?! Not likely.

2006 Chrysler 300C
2008 1/2 Mazda Speed3
Old 04-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Grand Champion

Vehicle: 91 & 81 d150 carburated 318's 93 R.C. F.I.318

man hammer. i think you are getting a bit forgetful. what about that startron stuff you are always preaching about for all the people that can't find ethanol free pumps?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Since my efan was one of the few mods I did by itself it's one of the few I could fairly accurately tell how much the benefit was. Pure in-town driving was pretty consistently 1.5 - 2 MPG gain, while pure highway was a non-factor, maybe a small percentage of an MPG gain. Over-all driving for me sees about 1.5 MPG better PLUS a notable improvement in acceleration from a stop without the parasitic clutch fan...
Old 04-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
man hammer. i think you are getting a bit forgetful. what about that startron stuff you are always preaching about for all the people that can't find ethanol free pumps?
Although I do see a decent gain in MPG, I really don't have enough proof at this point to make a recommendation based solely for MPG gains. I will swear that my engine runs smoother as it takes out the nasty effects of ethanol.
If I am going to say "do or buy this and you'll get better fuel economy", I want to be able to back it up that it works EVERYTIME for EVERYBODY...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Grand Champion

Vehicle: 91 & 81 d150 carburated 318's 93 R.C. F.I.318

the guys in the 2nd gen section seem to have good results with it or you could try filling up with ethanol free gas. according to my fuelly account if my 81 was to gain only 1 mpg i would save $8.99 which would pay the difference of using the 91 octane gas that is ethanol free.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Professional

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 qc

Hmmm... buy a Prius.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Veteran

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram

I have yet to see a mileage gain with Startron. I'm averaging 14.5mpg on the last 3 tanks. 320 miles on 22 gallons. I don't like the gas prices but no way in hell I'll trade my hemi for a gas sipping Chevy, they can average like 19-20, I'll keep my 14.5. Note: my truck overhead always says like 15.5-16.5 and I'm 14.5 every tank. I do have 24's, and I like to hear my engine roar a lot too lol. I always say "next tank I'll drive easy", well I have yet to let gas prices make me drive an awesome sounding engine slowly. If I give in I may as well buy a Smart Car, and sell my ********* lol. I'm a man and I'll drive a mans truck! With all that said I think you should calculate the gallons you use from fill tank and be happy, you have a HEMI!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 2005 5.7L 4x4 QC
Send a message via AIM to Chet Ubetcha Send a message via Yahoo to Chet Ubetcha

Kind of funny about the Smart Car. I was picking up my daughter from school a while back, and as I was walking up the sidewalk to the parking lot, a little Smart Car pulled out from the other side of my truck. The thing completely disappeared on the other side there, and didn't even come up to my hood. I just saw this little thing roll out from my front bumper. It was actually kind of comical at the time. Don't knock Smart Cars, though. They were never designed for the American market/roadways, but fit their niche quite well in their natural habitat...

With class in the middle of the day now, I am no longer making two 20-mile round trips a day to and from my daughter's school. I just stay on base all day after dropping her off, therefore theoretically cutting my daily/weekly mileage by roughly one-half. I'm experimenting with my driving style right now trying to see what kind of throttle responses generate the best results, mileage-wise, on all these hills. I've been driving like a grandma trying to keep my RPMs below 2K as much as possible, and optimally as close or under 1,500 as I can. I'm getting pretty good fuel results, but Mudder O'Gawd DRIVING LIKE THIS IS KILLING ME!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Veteran

Vehicle: 07 MEGAcab CTD

Tuners are nice for towing on the 03's because there is no tow/haul mode for the tranny. Used to have a Superchips tuner on my 03 1500 and 2500. It mabey gave a slight bump on the 1500, but not a damn thing for the 2500, just too heavy of a truck. Even on the durango, with MDS it really wasnt a noticable gain for mpg. Ethanol free gas, proper tire inflation, and a light right foot are probably the best things.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Here's hoping that someone will have some advice.
I have scanned several sites and lots of Dodge forums regarding fuel mileage on my 2005 Dodge Ram STI Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi. I replaced the platinum plugs that the previous owner installed with Champion Copper Plus, I changed the air filter (stock), pulled the throttle body and cleaned off the caked on carbon and wiped out what I could reach of the intake. I stopped using 87 octane fuel and filled up with 91 at half a tank. I am into my second half tank of 91 (cheaper at Sams Club than 89 at most other stations). My mileage is still 9-10 city and about 12-13 highway. Several things I have noticed. When I start the truck and immediately put it in gear the trans slips (hot or cold doesn’t matter). If I wait 30 seconds then put it in gear all seems ok. No other slippage noticed. After that 30 second wait time I put in gear and drive say 20 feet (end of my driveway) the truck stumbles and sometimes stalls, usually only cold but occasionally hot.
Anyone have any constructive thoughts?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 PM

I drive a 2010 dodge ram 2500, i use it for work, carrying around 600-1000lbs of parts/tools/equipment at any given time. When bone stock, i got around 11mpg, with tow/haul on, i could manage 12.5, but noticed a braking effect on hills, and couldnt coast properly. A few months ago, I installed a flowmaster cat-back, an afi intake and a diablo trinity tuner, all at the same time. I tuned it for the mpg saver mode and adjusted the shift points up a bit, almost like a tow/haul type setup. I have been getting around 15mpg average since. I spent $23,000 on fuel last year, with my new fuel economy, based on a similar travel as last year, i should save $3000 or more, doubling my investment within the year, (hopefully). I just installed the e-fan tonight (super easy) and im looking foreward to a bit extra fuel savings. Ill post mpg gains, if i see any. (not interested in Power gains)
Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500

I installed headers and my hwy mpg increased from 17-18 to 20-22 average. Also used a can of stp type seafoam in a full tank of gas.

Mods are intake, headers, exhaust, diablosport 91 tune.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 AM