3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Today I learned how thin dodge lays their paint.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Today I learned how thin dodge lays their paint.

Had some clear coat issues I was trying to knock down. Sanded the clear with 1500 grit, and almost immediately hit primer.

Oh well, that area needed paint anyways. But still, I honestly think they only applied one coat of paint.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same on my 04. I noticed a scratch on the top of the bedside and its to metal but the paint around it is incredibly thin compared to other cars i've had.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Paint should always be thin. You only want enough paint to cover the primer.

However, your clear coat should be thicker. A good custom or after market paint job will have 3-4 clear coats and one cost usually sanded off during the cut/buff/polish stage.

Kandies, pearls and other more exotic jobs will have more

Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Paint should always be thin. You only want enough paint to cover the primer.

However, your clear coat should be thicker. A good custom or after market paint job will have 3-4 clear coats and one cost usually sanded off during the cut/buff/polish stage.

Kandies, pearls and other more exotic jobs will have more
Very true, having 14 years of plus experience doing body work, and mechanical work...... 3 coats of paint, dusted on, and the clear coat is usually put on pretty thick, right on the edge of running just about, and then sanded with 1500 wet, dried, buffed with a high rpm professional buffer, and then polished to sheer high gloss, you can see yourself to shave kind of finish.... thats for an all over paint job that you want to look good, sanding and buffing merely rids the "orange peel" look from the factory. collision jobs, we mostly leave it after the clear coat to match the rest of the car. once in a while we will sand and buff, but for the most part they turn out very nice without having to sand and buff.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:32 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Had some clear coat issues I was trying to knock down. Sanded the clear with 1500 grit, and almost immediately hit primer.

Oh well, that area needed paint anyways. But still, I honestly think they only applied one coat of paint.
if you shop around you can find 3000 grit paper, but make sure you do it wet, leaves a more finer etch, doesn't take much it's a very delicate process.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by rebeltaz83
Very true, having 14 years of plus experience doing body work, and mechanical work...... 3 coats of paint, dusted on, and the clear coat is usually put on pretty thick, right on the edge of running just about, and then sanded with 1500 wet, dried, buffed with a high rpm professional buffer, and then polished to sheer high gloss, you can see yourself to shave kind of finish.... thats for an all over paint job that you want to look good, sanding and buffing merely rids the "orange peel" look from the factory. collision jobs, we mostly leave it after the clear coat to match the rest of the car. once in a while we will sand and buff, but for the most part they turn out very nice without having to sand and buff.

LoL.

I just painted a bike where we set sanded the OEM fairings, laid a gold 2K primer sealer, Guacamole green, intercoat with House of Kolor Ice Gold Pearl and 4 coats of a high solids clear. Already started wetsanding the clear on some pieces. Absolutely beautiful.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:16 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

LoL.

I just painted a bike where we set sanded the OEM fairings, laid a gold 2K primer sealer, Guacamole green, intercoat with House of Kolor Ice Gold Pearl and 4 coats of a high solids clear. Already started wetsanding the clear on some pieces. Absolutely beautiful.
i bet that looks sweet!!! got any pics.?

Old 05-26-2014, 01:25 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by rebeltaz83
i bet that looks sweet!!! got any pics.?
But of course. They are on our Facebook though

The couple of pieces you see with a pattern on them do not have HoK flake but are hydro dipped with as pearlescent based film

https://www.facebook.com/TrickedOut....9154742&type=1

Old 05-26-2014, 01:31 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

2K gold sealer, Guacamole green, hydrographic pearlescent film on top, high solids clear coat (not wet sanded and buffed at time of video)

Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

But of course. They are on our Facebook though

The couple of pieces you see with a pattern on them do not have HoK flake but are hydro dipped with as pearlescent based film

https://www.facebook.com/TrickedOut....9154742&type=1
VERY, VERY NICE!!!! they always look better in the sun, lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Today I learned how thin dodge lays their paint.