Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech > 3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Today I learned how thin dodge lays their paint.

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Prismatic Prismatic is offline
Veteran
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 351
Default Today I learned how thin dodge lays their paint.

Had some clear coat issues I was trying to knock down. Sanded the clear with 1500 grit, and almost immediately hit primer.


Oh well, that area needed paint anyways. But still, I honestly think they only applied one coat of paint.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
__________________
The bodge
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
2" Prothane Leveling Kit, K&N Drop In, 45rfe to 545rfe TCM swap
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Will_V2Lab's Avatar
Will_V2Lab Will_V2Lab is offline
Professional
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 04 Ram 1500 LB 5.7 4x2
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Posts: 139
@will_v2lab willtotheumm @will_v2lab
Default

Same on my 04. I noticed a scratch on the top of the bedside and its to metal but the paint around it is incredibly thin compared to other cars i've had.
__________________
Team V2Lab
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2014, 11:21 PM
weedahoe's Avatar
weedahoe weedahoe is offline
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram QC
Location: South GA
Posts: 18,731
TrickedOut DodgeRam Weedahoe1977
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Default

Paint should always be thin. You only want enough paint to cover the primer.

However, your clear coat should be thicker. A good custom or after market paint job will have 3-4 clear coats and one cost usually sanded off during the cut/buff/polish stage.

Kandies, pearls and other more exotic jobs will have more
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 AM
rebeltaz83's Avatar
rebeltaz83 rebeltaz83 is offline
Professional
1997 yamaha VMax
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 05 2500HD 4x4 qc
Location: at home
Posts: 109
Sticky83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Paint should always be thin. You only want enough paint to cover the primer.

However, your clear coat should be thicker. A good custom or after market paint job will have 3-4 clear coats and one cost usually sanded off during the cut/buff/polish stage.

Kandies, pearls and other more exotic jobs will have more
Very true, having 14 years of plus experience doing body work, and mechanical work...... 3 coats of paint, dusted on, and the clear coat is usually put on pretty thick, right on the edge of running just about, and then sanded with 1500 wet, dried, buffed with a high rpm professional buffer, and then polished to sheer high gloss, you can see yourself to shave kind of finish.... thats for an all over paint job that you want to look good, sanding and buffing merely rids the "orange peel" look from the factory. collision jobs, we mostly leave it after the clear coat to match the rest of the car. once in a while we will sand and buff, but for the most part they turn out very nice without having to sand and buff.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-26-2014, 09:32 AM
rebeltaz83's Avatar
rebeltaz83 rebeltaz83 is offline
Professional
1997 yamaha VMax
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 05 2500HD 4x4 qc
Location: at home
Posts: 109
Sticky83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
Had some clear coat issues I was trying to knock down. Sanded the clear with 1500 grit, and almost immediately hit primer.


Oh well, that area needed paint anyways. But still, I honestly think they only applied one coat of paint.
if you shop around you can find 3000 grit paper, but make sure you do it wet, leaves a more finer etch, doesn't take much it's a very delicate process.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 AM
weedahoe's Avatar
weedahoe weedahoe is offline
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram QC
Location: South GA
Posts: 18,731
TrickedOut DodgeRam Weedahoe1977
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltaz83 View Post
Very true, having 14 years of plus experience doing body work, and mechanical work...... 3 coats of paint, dusted on, and the clear coat is usually put on pretty thick, right on the edge of running just about, and then sanded with 1500 wet, dried, buffed with a high rpm professional buffer, and then polished to sheer high gloss, you can see yourself to shave kind of finish.... thats for an all over paint job that you want to look good, sanding and buffing merely rids the "orange peel" look from the factory. collision jobs, we mostly leave it after the clear coat to match the rest of the car. once in a while we will sand and buff, but for the most part they turn out very nice without having to sand and buff.

LoL.

I just painted a bike where we set sanded the OEM fairings, laid a gold 2K primer sealer, Guacamole green, intercoat with House of Kolor Ice Gold Pearl and 4 coats of a high solids clear. Already started wetsanding the clear on some pieces. Absolutely beautiful.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-26-2014, 01:16 PM
rebeltaz83's Avatar
rebeltaz83 rebeltaz83 is offline
Professional
1997 yamaha VMax
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 05 2500HD 4x4 qc
Location: at home
Posts: 109
Sticky83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
LoL.

I just painted a bike where we set sanded the OEM fairings, laid a gold 2K primer sealer, Guacamole green, intercoat with House of Kolor Ice Gold Pearl and 4 coats of a high solids clear. Already started wetsanding the clear on some pieces. Absolutely beautiful.
i bet that looks sweet!!! got any pics.?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-26-2014, 01:25 PM
weedahoe's Avatar
weedahoe weedahoe is offline
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram QC
Location: South GA
Posts: 18,731
TrickedOut DodgeRam Weedahoe1977
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltaz83 View Post
i bet that looks sweet!!! got any pics.?
But of course. They are on our Facebook though

The couple of pieces you see with a pattern on them do not have HoK flake but are hydro dipped with as pearlescent based film

https://www.facebook.com/TrickedOut....9154742&type=1
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-26-2014, 01:31 PM
weedahoe's Avatar
weedahoe weedahoe is offline
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram QC
Location: South GA
Posts: 18,731
TrickedOut DodgeRam Weedahoe1977
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Default

2K gold sealer, Guacamole green, hydrographic pearlescent film on top, high solids clear coat (not wet sanded and buffed at time of video)

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM
rebeltaz83's Avatar
rebeltaz83 rebeltaz83 is offline
Professional
1997 yamaha VMax
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 05 2500HD 4x4 qc
Location: at home
Posts: 109
Sticky83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
But of course. They are on our Facebook though

The couple of pieces you see with a pattern on them do not have HoK flake but are hydro dipped with as pearlescent based film

https://www.facebook.com/TrickedOut....9154742&type=1
VERY, VERY NICE!!!! they always look better in the sun, lol
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails