Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech > 3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I officially love working on my truck

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Prismatic Prismatic is offline
Veteran
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 376
Default I officially love working on my truck

Did my plugs tonight. About 30 minutes total. Intake off and BAM, all coils are right there. I got my tools out, crouched on the bumper and went to town.


Factory gap is .40, not one of the plugs I pulled out was under .55. Good news is they all looked fantastic however old they were.

RPM's are down about 150 at 65mph, so that's an improvement!
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
__________________
The bodge
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
2" Prothane Leveling Kit, K&N Drop In, 45rfe to 545rfe TCM swap
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Old man with a Hemi2 Old man with a Hemi2 is offline
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2006 Hemi Ram Sport
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
Did my plugs tonight. About 30 minutes total. Intake off and BAM, all coils are right there. I got my tools out, crouched on the bumper and went to town.


Factory gap is .40, not one of the plugs I pulled out was under .55. Good news is they all looked fantastic however old they were.

RPM's are down about 150 at 65mph, so that's an improvement


I think it's also an impossibility. Driving rpm is determined by transmission ratio and rear gear ratio and since you made no changes to either, I think it's technically impossible to reduce rpm's at any given mph just from changing the plugs. It just doesn't work that way. At idle it is possible but driving...no way

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-27-2013 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: fixed quote parenthesis
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM
dirtydog's Avatar
dirtydog dirtydog is offline
Moderate User
2008 Dodge Ram 1500
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 10,831
Send a message via Yahoo to dirtydog
Default

Nice. What plugs did you install? NGK? Autolite? I'm hoping just basic copper one's...?

Most guys go through the fenders for the plugs.
I haven't had the need to change mine yet so we shall see...but I like the idea of fenders because it beatts being hunched over for an extended period of time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Prismatic Prismatic is offline
Veteran
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Nice. What plugs did you install? NGK? Autolite? I'm hoping just basic copper one's...?

Most guys go through the fenders for the plugs.
I haven't had the need to change mine yet so we shall see...but I like the idea of fenders because it beatts being hunched over for an extended period of time.
Basic copper ones. Didn't wanna spend a whole lot.

You mean people take the fender walls off to stand inside the bay and work?


That sounds comfortable, but a lot of extra work.
__________________
The bodge
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
2" Prothane Leveling Kit, K&N Drop In, 45rfe to 545rfe TCM swap
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-27-2013, 03:58 PM
dirtydog's Avatar
dirtydog dirtydog is offline
Moderate User
2008 Dodge Ram 1500
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 10,831
Send a message via Yahoo to dirtydog
Default

Yep. They take the inner liners out. It's only like 7 or 8 screws. Pretty simple actually.
I took mine out when I did my headers.

Also, Dodge only recommends Copper plugs. These trucks are very temper mental with fancy plugs. Plus, fancy plugs are only better in marginal situations. Generally a waste of money if your able to do the work yourself. If not, fancy plugs save you labor costs in the long run.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-28-2013, 11:47 AM
TRO14 TRO14 is offline
Banned
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Yep. They take the inner liners out. It's only like 7 or 8 screws. Pretty simple actually.
I took mine out when I did my headers.

Also, Dodge only recommends Copper plugs. These trucks are very temper mental with fancy plugs. Plus, fancy plugs are only better in marginal situations. Generally a waste of money if your able to do the work yourself. If not, fancy plugs save you labor costs in the long run.
Don't go through the fender well, you can access the plugs from the top of the engine bay way easier. This guy dirtydog has obviously never changed the plugs on his truck.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-28-2013, 12:13 PM
dirtydog's Avatar
dirtydog dirtydog is offline
Moderate User
2008 Dodge Ram 1500
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 10,831
Send a message via Yahoo to dirtydog
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO14 View Post
Don't go through the fender well, you can access the plugs from the top of the engine bay way easier. This guy dirtydog has obviously never changed the plugs on his truck.
Here we go again...

I think you need to start reading better on what other people say because your not doing a good job. Your trying to just find a way to disagree with me and make me look bad and are actually making yourself look bad.

I'll go through what has been said to help you out because you seem to not be able to follow on your own:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Nice. What plugs did you install? NGK? Autolite? I'm hoping just basic copper one's...?

Most guys go through the fenders for the plugs.
I haven't had the need to change mine yet so we shall see
...but I like the idea of fenders because it beatts being hunched over for an extended period of time.
Now, maybe MOST was a bad choice and it should have been SOME guys, but I have been around this forum for 5yrs and have 10K more posts than you do so I think i would know how guys have changed their plugs in the past.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-28-2013, 12:19 PM
TRO14 TRO14 is offline
Banned
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post

Here we go again...

I think you need to start reading better on what other people say because your not doing a good job. Your trying to just find a way to disagree with me and make me look bad and are actually making yourself look bad.

I'll go through what has been said to help you out because you seem to not be able to follow on your own:

Now, maybe MOST was a bad choice and it should have been SOME guys, but I have been around this forum for 5yrs and have 10K more posts than you do so I think i would know how guys have changed their plugs in the past.
No one goes through the wheel well. Period.

Now, having been here in different forms since 05 I am no expert but according to you time on the forum determines expertise so I guess I got you beat boss.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Gary-L's Avatar
Gary-L Gary-L is offline
Legend
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
 
Join Date: May 2005
Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 4x2 Big Horn aka The Silver Bullet
Location: Norman, Okla-mobile-homa
Posts: 7,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO14 View Post
No one goes through the wheel well. Period.

Now, having been here in different forms since 05 I am no expert but according to you time on the forum determines expertise so I guess I got you beat boss.
Your generalized statement is not fact.
__________________
Rolling coal is like spending a considerable amount of money to reconfigure your plumbing system so that when you shat in the toilet, it gets sprayed all over your furniture because someone suggested you should use a better-performing furniture polish.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM
KasperR34's Avatar
KasperR34 KasperR34 is offline
Captain
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 595
Seth Groody KasperR34
Default

lol TRO you're an idiot.
__________________

12" Lift on 37x12.5R17
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails