3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Body/suspension lifts

Old 04-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Defenderx123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body/suspension lifts

Alright I'm new to the thread but I'm looking for some guidance. I have a '03 Ram 1500 4WD with the 4.7l V8 and the 6.5 foot bed. I want to know, what is the biggest suspension lift that I can do without major modifications? I don't have a garage but I do all my own work and want to know if this is something that I can tackle in my driveway. Also I've considered a body lift as well with the suspension lift, however I have heard that if I install a body lift then I will no longer be able to keep my brush guard on without modifying it. Is this true if so how hard is it to modify the brush guard? Thank you

Old 05-06-2014, 01:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You can go with a 6" suspension lift, the Skyjacker is the best built kit IMO. True, with body lift you'll have to modify anything bolted to the frame, you'd have to fabricate up new brackets...

Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Greasy24
Veteran

I installed my 6in skyjacker lift in my garage with ease!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Defenderx123

Thanks for the input, guess I'll stay away from the body lift for now.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 PM
DodgeTheCity05

Anybody rollin with the Pro Comp 6" Lift kit?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:39 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeTheCity05
Anybody rollin with the Pro Comp 6" Lift kit?

Don't own one, I run a 4" Rancho kit, but I've helped install a few and worked on a truck or two the Procomp kit for IFS trucks.

It's not a bad kit (while the Fabtech and Superlifts are really poor IMO), and is actually a good buy for the money.

The big differences between the Procomp and the Skyjacker or Rancho kits are the number of components the latter two kits replace with bigger/beefier parts as opposed to re-using many stock suspension components and the fact that ProComp chooses to use a pair of crossmembers instead of a true, boxed sub-frame for added strength. Obviously by utilizing more stock parts, it helps Procomp hold the price of their kit down.

Also of note, the Procomp ES9000 shocks they include are re-branded (stickered actually) Tenneco, generic, white bargain shocks. Interestingly the Skyjacker kit also ships with the same shock, but this time containing a "Skyjacker Nitro" sticker. Rough Country also sells this shock with a "Nitro 9000" sticker and Rancho (owned by Tenneco) sells this as their bargain basement RS5000 series.
Nothing wrong with the shocks, but if you've been spoiled by Bilstein or Rancho XS shocks, you probably won't think much of them...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body/suspension lifts