3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs

Old 05-14-2014, 12:50 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs

So. What do you do when you buy a vehicle which has aftermarket power windows installed, but is missing the covers that come with those kits to cover up the remaining window cranks?

You contact a retailer asking if you can get those covers. When the retailer fails to respond what do you do? You contact the manufacturer.

When they fail to respond you say screw that and make your own.

__________________________________________________ _____________

So here's what I have to work with.
Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs-gqk4x9b.jpg
This is the crank cover.

It fits over this
Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs-2fwrnyf.jpg

Which is where you'd normally find the window crank. In its place is that large black gear, connected to a motor which opens and closes the window.

The problem is I only have one. The other covers were lost to the sands of time. The good news is I have one. This means I can make more.

Step one is to measure the part and make a 3D model.
Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs-nj1iycf.jpg

Take that model and import it into the xxxxCAD application of your choice and program the cut.

Then select an appropriate material. I wanted these durable, so they'll be cut from aluminum.

Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs-kscrgyh.jpg

There is an inside to these covers which is being machined out, but isn't shown right now in the pictures.

Start the cut...
Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs-tz1ouea.jpg

Looking like something...
Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs-orvqqog.jpg

After some time you get this!

Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs-qogj0mt.jpg
Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs-a0mv3r1.jpg
Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs-pzs4fjn.jpg

Machine work will continue over the next few days, then they'll receive a coat of AR-15 black with blue inlay on the ram logo to match the trucks exterior.

I'll send updates as they happen

Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

coooooollll.... i want those tools

Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or if you have a quad cab I can sell you my mint door panels

Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Or if you have a quad cab I can sell you my mint door panels
Quote me a price.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:03 PM
tantofolder
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job!!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:57 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PM sent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build Thread: CNC milled window crank covers for aftermarket power window installs