3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

07 headunit replacement Q's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Carlp336
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 headunit replacement Q's?

hey guys. been awhile. the truck is good and running great with 80k on the clock.

ive been disconnected from the AUdio scene for ages and not sure where to begin searching and the terminology. id like to get a new headunit something with a screen and dvd playback would be cool. now is that double din still ? or the size of the dodge surround different ? are there premade surrounds for such and who makes nice OE quality ones?

thanks
Carl

Old 01-15-2015, 12:44 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
There are still some slide-out single din units, but they are all crappy compared to anything double din. For the gen3.5 RAMs ('06-08 1500), there is an OEM double din radio surround. The part number for the grey and silver model is 5KS701DHAB, and can be
found on Amazon found on Amazon
. That Amazon seller has all of the other color combinations as well. You'll need a double din mounting kit for your aftermarket unit, of which I used the
Metra 99-6510 Metra 99-6510
, and it fit great. You will then need a
PAC C2R-CHYNA PAC C2R-CHYNA
module/harness. If you have (and plan to use) the factory amplifier, or your truck came from the factory with navigation, you will need a
PAC C2R-CHY4 PAC C2R-CHY4
instead.

As for head units, you will get a lot of different answers depending on a lot of people's personal preference. I did a ton of research before picking my newest head unit, and on a price:performance ratio, I found the Pioneer AVHX5700BHS couldn't be beat. 7" touch screen, built-in bluetooth and HD tuner and you can connect iPhones and certain Android phones to it and mirror the screen. With the right phone, you can have navigation from the phone controllable on the dash screen. A great bargain, considering a full navigation enabled unit starts ~$800.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Carlp336
Rookie

thanks for this info. i bought exactly all of those items!

Quick Reply: 07 headunit replacement Q's?