3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My 02 5.9L CrewCab build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more fun ladies and germs!

The multi-function light switch thingy-me-do-bob just quit on me tonight. Dash lights won't go off, and when I turn the light switch all the way off.. it turns the fog lights ON, rear lights stay lit, parking lights stay on even though they are turned off! I swear I need to catch a little bit of a break.

The switch factory part number is #56045537AC

Found a place on ebay that lists 04-05 for OEM $80.00ish bux. I went to Autozone and Oreillys and they DO have them but their info is wrong also. I guess 2002 was the bastard year of the Ram 1500 :/

They have the xx-01 listed to 2002.. so to get the correct one you have to choose 2003.. (for gen 3.. or for the 2002 model year at least*) and they have them for $59.99 w/ fog lights. So if you were wanting fog lights and do NOT have them, this would be an extra piece to the puzzle. I would also think you would need to get your computer flashed with a VIN# that has fogs. Reason I say this is that I guess that damn switch sends the computer some codes that then turn on different lights.. WTF? Whatever happened to good old fashioned circuits and ****? Now it is (even in 2002) computer networked! I actually went to school for IT back in 99-2004 so I get it all, but seems like a really screwed up way to do things you ask me.. and what a damn "show" it is when this one switch goes out and all hell breaks loose light wise with the vehicle. R-tarded to say the least.

Going a week or 2 in between failures of parts is getting old. While checking the fuse box I noticed #40 or #44 (A/C Condenser fuse) (I will recheck and update this editing the wrong info out) had a fuse that looked out of place, took it out to find the box around that fuse is melted a bit. So I will likely need to get a new fuse box at some point.

Used cars/trucks are like a box of chocolates.. never know what you will get.

Last edited by Black02CrCb; 02-26-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:53 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Well I don't believe in coincidences.. not at all so having my light switch go out as I am about to Install Smoked Black LED Tail Lights and 3rd Light.. is just too much. At least I can get the part at the parts store and it will be a limited lifetime warranty piece.. just tired of this nickel and dime crap.. I want exhaust and new speakers.. not OEM or replacement parts dammit!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

The lightswitch was the ticket.

I will tell you this. The light switch tried one last time to make me think it was okay. I got out of the Oreillys that I bought the switch from and the lights were off, open door no dinging and all was good. I got home and the same shenanigans played out. It was a super easy swap out. I threw the bezel into a sink with dawn dish soap to wash off the dust on the vent and reinstalled it. easy-peasy

Old 03-18-2016, 01:46 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Been busy with work and projects other than the ram. I ordered a set of the aluminum valve covers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191528737447?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Anyone know if the standard grommets fit on it? I am thinking they do, but not sure. I contacted the seller. Also.. what gaskets to get? Is there a certain type that work better than others?

Noticed the stocks are puking oil out the back side of the engine.. so adding oil is futile at this point. Sitting at 3 quarts and it will just leak out to that level for some reason.

I am going to order some wrinkle red powder (think Ferrari intake wrinkle red) for them, maybe a little extra to powder coat the intake, when I finally get it also.. yeah I want to do that also..

I will hopefully get to the lights this weekend. I have had issues with my chevy truck and been dealing with that, although that truck is my "limited warranty" truck. It has literally been rebuilt with enough parts store parts that just about anything on it is warrantied now. I have owned it for 11yrs and it has seen a fare share of engines and transmissions. Today I got a new battery for it. I was able to get a new one, changed up the battery and got money back in cash, and a gift card.. LMAO oh man it doesn't make up for all the crap I have put up with dealing with that battery the last 4-5 months.

Anyway, this weekend is supposed to be low in temps and kinda crummy but need to take care of projects. I am getting things wired up with the lights and hope to do that this weekend, maybe more but will have to see.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:06 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Just got my valve covers in the mail yesterday. Paid aboat $199.xx shipped for them. Still need PCV and Breather and new boots. I just did all that for the stock valve covers, may just try to pull them off and reuse, or not haven't decided yet. Part of me wants to let them be and just get some new ones.

Anywho another project for the truck.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:02 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

I have a REALLY LOUD pcv valve. I figured out what the under hood noise is. I am thinking something is wrong with it. I will get video this weekend, but putting my fingers on it, it is REALLY working and vibrating and making noise.. not sure it should be this active, can't say I have ever heard a pcv sounding like this or vibrating the way it is. I looked and could not find anyone else complaining about this.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:10 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

noise is somewhat like this, I will be buying an OEM pcv in the next few days. Sad because the damn thing only has 2000 miles on it. Oh well junk is junk.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:46 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

So much has happened.. I have been busy rebuilding the beast. Rebuilt the entire front end, including brake lines.. that was a treat. I just ran into a violent idle issue, actually when I stepped on the gas it would buck, let off and it would plane out. Then it was fine until the weather warmed up. Thought it was bad gas, but the problem with the idle has always been there for a good year.. going to buy and replace the crankshaft position sensor tomorrow in hopes that this is it. I basically have a crank no start issue. I will get to the bottom of it like always.

I have a lot of catching up to do around here, and to my threads.

Take care all.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:49 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

I got a crankshaft position sensor from Oreily's today for $60.XX and got it installed.

Was pissed about the non-start afterward.. but I didn't think that the CPS would fix the "bad gas" issue. I have a hunch that it was either an ex of mine or truly bad gas. Not sure, but I did get it fixed and she is running again.. and better than ever.

For the gas issue.. I had a 1/4 tank (26 gallon tank) so I had roughly 15 gallons to add.. I had already added 2 containers of Heet which did nothing.. a 24oz glass of lacquer thinner. I added 15+ gallons of 91 octane and a bottle of Lucus injector cleaner, then for ****s and grins added well more than I should have of the Lucus upper cylinder cleaner.. like 12-16oz of it.

Basically I wanted the fuel to burn once again.

I did get it to finally start, and took it on a drive after it ran for a good 30 min. The truck is running REALLY good and that hesitation and shaking I once had is gone. I am going to keep watching out for it to come back.. I don't want any of the additives of the gas and higher octane to mask anything... so I will be watching to make sure they are not the reason for it running better.

My CPS change out thread.

Last edited by Black02CrCb; 01-22-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:37 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Got all the stuffs for my transmission rebuild in. I am taking the gas 5.9L trans and turning it into the diesel HD version.. so a 46RE to 48RE "elite" build. I cannot wait for it to be in the truck

Here is my thread on the Elite Transmission build 46RE-to-48RE