3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Not a good day for me and my truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Not a good day for me and my truck

Well I was going to pull my daughters truck out of the snow and got stuck again. Then while trying to get my Dodge unstuck we hear this LOUD BANG.
Can't figure out where it is coming from so I go back to digging my tires out of the snow. My neighbor comes over and is helping when he goes, your front tires aren't spinning. So I am thinking I blew up the gears in the front diff or messed something up in the transfer case. So I end up calling for a tow. The tow truck shows up and as he is pulling me out something falls on the ground. After I am not stuck anymore I get out and go look to see if I can find out what fell out of the truck. I see this piece of metal laying on the ground and I said to the people I know why I don't have 4wd anymore. I broke an axle shaft because what was laying in the snow was half a yoke front a front axle shaft. So now I've got to get a new axle shaft for the drivers (short side) and new u-joints. But the real fun part is that I can't get my truck into the garage because of the snow so if I want to try to repair this myself I would have to do it all outside in the snow. So I think I am just going to have to take it to a shop and have then do it for me.

And then to add insult to injury the reason we were getting her truck out was because someone was coming over to look at it and maybe buy it. Well when I tried to drive past where my truck was stuck I got my daughters truck stuck too. And as I am trying to get her truck unstuck the guy who came to look at it goes, "your driveshaft is spinning but your front tires aren't turning. Great way to show off the truck and now they are going to offer me less money.

Can anyone confirm what axles I have under the truck? I always thought I had D60 front and D70 rear.
My truck is a 2006 Ram 3500 Mega Cab.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Okay after a little research and some help from fellow forum members I was able to figure out I have the new AAM axles instead of Dana.
It looks like I have a 9.5 front axle that they used in the 1500, 2500 & 3500. Not sure I like that. And then either a 10.5 or 11.5 rear axle.
If anyone has knowledge about these axles could you please share.