3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Hemichief
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Package

I have an 03 1500 5.7l with the towing pkg. Does anyone know if the towing pkg on the ram also works as a charger to the Travel Trailer battery while it is being towed?

In my 04 Ford - the towing pkg charges the battery while the trailer is being towed. I was wondering if it was the same on the Dodge.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2007, 01:21 AM
reindeerman
Rookie
Default RE: Tow Package

It should if…. all of the wiring and connectors are in sync. Sometimes trailers are wired different and connector plugs can be too.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:24 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

isnt that part of the 7 wire plug? isnt one of them designed to charge the trailer battery?

Old 05-24-2007, 02:45 AM
Hessmonster
Rookie

If you have the tow package the truck will charge the battery. Also if you leave the trailer pluged into the truck it can drain the truck battery as well. If your not sure use a test light and see if one of the prongs is hot while the truck and all lights are off.

Good luck and Happy Camping

Old 05-24-2007, 06:36 AM
CODE3RUN

It will charge the battery. If it doesnt, make sure that paticular fuse is there in the fuse box. On my Ford, it has the tow package and then after a year, i figured out that my battery was being charged by the tv because Ford didnt include the fuse.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Worldtravelers5

I recently installed the Mopar trailer tow kit (82207253) for my '05 1500 and according to the instructions, the pin at the one o'clock position is your charge wire. As said above, it is a direct wire to the battery (fused), and will drain your truck battery if left connected too long while parked. Also, the ground wire should be at seven o'clock position, so it will be real easy to check...

Since you're changing tow vehicles, take the time to verify pin-outs from truck to trailer; there's nothing worse than shorting out either half....don't ask me how I know... been there, done that, got the scars.

Since I'm chatting, here's the pin out according to the instructions Dodge gave me:
Center pin--reverse
1o'clock-charge (constant hot)
3 o'clock-Right turn/stop
5 o'clock--trailer brakes
7 o'clock-ground
9 o'clock-Left turn/stop
11 o'clock-running lights
I don't have a scanner to upload the document.

Good luck camping--we're supposed to go this weekend, but the weather in Germany is crap all 3 days this weekend...
Scott

Old 05-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Hemichief
Veteran

Thanks All. I will start testing the PINs today. Cant wait to get out and tow with the Ram, should not even feel it behind it. (I hope). Scott, I hope weather gets better for you.. I am taking the family and all other kids that tag along for a nice 4 day weekend to Estes Park in CO.

Quick Reply: Tow Package