3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seige Engineering train horns, buyers beware

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:27 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seige Engineering train horns, buyers beware

L and R Two

I too ordered a Jericho 5l system with the Kong Mk2 horns.
However, I started to read a little more and quickly realised that the 5l didn't have enough volume to give me a looooong train blast.[sm=smiley20.gif]
With that in mind, I quickly modified my order which you are encouraged to do on Siege's web site and placed a modfiedorder for the 3 gallon tank with a 380C Viair compressor.
Reading your story, I'm very glad I did.
But my peopblems started with Siege themelves.[:@]
When my kit was evenualy delivered, which is a very sore point, my train horns were dented (done in transit), parts missing and it all came in two seperate packages which took forever to arrive.
No pressure switch, nohigh pressure hose tocouple up the compressor to train horns and the hose to couple up the compressor to tank was leaking like a sieve![:@]
I evenually got my system working, fought for some compensation from Siege nd am now enjoying my horns.[sm=happy046.gif]
But.............it wasn't the easy pleasant experience it should have been, considering it cost me $500 or so with the crap shipping.[:@]
L and R Twogo for the 3 galloneven the5 gallon tank and the viair 380c comprssor.
That at least works great!
Al

Old 08-26-2007, 10:16 AM
eglzfan5

Right on about customer support and parts quality. While they are easy to work with and will help you in anyway they can, not much thought goes into the kits they put together. I bought the kong mark III with the 1/2 in. valve and line. It was supposed to be the loudest ever. Ever take a generic party favor style noise maker and blow too hard into it and no noise comes out? Same deal. Two weeks of trouble shooting later and we got my system right. Switched to a lower pressure switch and they sent me a 3/8 in valve and line kit for my horns. I bought this kit because of their claim that bigger is better. The horns, while very loud, just can't handle 200 psi of air coming out of a 1/2 inch valve and line. My setup is the Kong MK III, 3/8 in valve, and I am running a 120/150 psi switch. Scares kids and makes women cry. No ****, I also made a cow fall down! Do NOT use them in traffic, around old people, or police. I tend to save my air for punk kids that like to cross the street as slow as they can thinking that I don't have the ***** to run them over. Hit the HEMI and blow the horn! Kids move quickly with the right motivation.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:32 AM
abarmby
Champion

eglzfan5

I got the 1/2" valve and the air line and run 150 psi all day through my Kong Mk2's.
I didn't know they made Mk3's as they've just come out with the two's...........[sm=dontgetit.gif]
You sure you don't have the Hammer horns they sell?
Anyhow, I tried the 200psi pressure limit switch and the safety valve they supplied with the system, opened at 190 and blew a load of my air off out of the tank!!!!![:@]
I tried the system at 185 and the horns didn't really sound any louder than at 150 psi which I'm running at now.[sm=happy046.gif]
Al.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:50 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To clear up to the few that think I use my horn to scare people. I do not. My main use of the horn is on the road (mainly highway), to keep other drivers in there lanes or to warn that I am there. Down here, we have a huge problem with teens and putting on those fart pipes and they can't hear crap. Believe it or not, I have blown my horn more times in a parking lot because some kid looked and started yelling to his/her parents about the size of the truck. I blow the horn and they go nuts....

Yesterday, I almost got side swiped. I blew the stock horn and he still came over pushing me into the break down lane. NOW,,, if I had the other horns, this would not have happened.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 AM
abarmby
Champion

Ditto for me as well L and R Two.

It certainly cuts through the boom box brigade, who don't hear you with a normal horn.
Which btw, is illeagal hear in the UK.
Your not paying "due care and attention" to the road if you cannot hear emergency vehicles and such, due to music playing too loud etc.
Don't get me wrong, I'm close to 50, have 2 x12" subs in a fox box with 1500 watts of the Who playing away. But, I'm always aware of what's around me etc and never have it too loud when I'm actually driving.
As for the kids, well hear in the UK there are precious few Rams around and when they see the Hemi they're all over it and the horns just make it that bit more special ha ha ha.
Al.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:26 AM
bigmac18
Veteran

ORIGINAL: eglzfan5

Right on about customer support and parts quality. While they are easy to work with and will help you in anyway they can, not much thought goes into the kits they put together. I bought the kong mark III with the 1/2 in. valve and line. It was supposed to be the loudest ever. Ever take a generic party favor style noise maker and blow too hard into it and no noise comes out? Same deal. Two weeks of trouble shooting later and we got my system right. Switched to a lower pressure switch and they sent me a 3/8 in valve and line kit for my horns. I bought this kit because of their claim that bigger is better. The horns, while very loud, just can't handle 200 psi of air coming out of a 1/2 inch valve and line. My setup is the Kong MK III, 3/8 in valve, and I am running a 120/150 psi switch. Scares kids and makes women cry. No ****, I also made a cow fall down! Do NOT use them in traffic, around old people, or police. I tend to save my air for punk kids that like to cross the street as slow as they can thinking that I don't have the ***** to run them over. Hit the HEMI and blow the horn! Kids move quickly with the right motivation.
I had the same exact problem...I spent a little extra for the 1/2" valve and lines thinking that bigger is better....NOPE!....they had me ship the horns back to them, and after 2 weeks, they finally got it back to me with 3/8" airlines and fittings. Except I still have the 1/2" valve. It only works up to around 120psi (not the 200psi as promised) but I just put in a 80/120 psi switch. and it is still plenty loud enough for me.

I just wished they would put a little more thought into the kits they sell...if its sold as a kit, it should all work together!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

UPDATE:

As stated above I was looking into getting the Viair 380 Compressor and 2 or 3 gal. tank. I was told that it would cost $245 plus shipping for the set up. I decided to gamble and bid on a complete set up on EBay. Guess what, I won and got it a little cheaper. I got a 3 gal. tank, the 380 compressor, complete install kit, plus 2 more horns - - - - all for $270 shipped!!!! I am not going to need the horns, but I wanted all the other stuff for extra parts. I am happy now, I will have my loud a$$ horns back next weekend.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 AM
abarmby
Champion

L and R Two

If you read "about air" on the Siege homepage. They say that you need to get the 1/2" solenoid actuating valve as close to the horns as possible.[sm=confused06.gif]
This gives the system an instantcrisp snappy sound, as the air is already up to the horns and blocked only by the solenoid at the horns and not futher down the line. If you fit the valve down the line, you don't get that insant sound, as the futher away from the horns you have it, the longer in time it takes for the air to get to them. Also, you will get a trailing off of the sound, as the airbleeds awaythrough this length of lineafter you close the solenoid valve, giving that croaky sound.[sm=boosign.gif]
What I did was, unscrew the horn trumpets andfitted the actuating solenoid valve directly to the horn manifold. There's just enough room to scew it once the trumpets are off.
Make sure you remember which positions the horns were in!
I then refitted the trumpets and I now have instant sound at the push of a button.[sm=happy046.gif]

You might also want to invest in a relay to actuate that solenoid.[sm=goodidea.gif]
I found that small on/off switches are typically only a few amps rating and the contacts blow out very quickly when wired directly to this solenoid.
I wired in a relay,and fitteda nice small chrome push button on/off switch and it's all dandy now.
Tapping into the existing horn, caused the fuse controlling it to blow, so I wouldn't suggest you do that either.[sm=badidea.gif]
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

abarmby,
The good news is that I am going to use all of my old set up for wiring and horns. It will take me all of 20 minutes to mount and install everything. The horns that were sold to previously was the 4 horn set up and the solenoid was actually mounted to the horns so there was no hose between there and the solenoid. Big plus. I also did not wire to the stock horn. I wired in a 5 amp momentary switch in my dash to activate the solenoid. I already anticipated problems if I did wire to the stock horn. So in short, I already have the 3/8" tubing with the 1/2" valve. Horns, solenoid, power relay, tubing and wiring, already installed. All I have to do is mount the tank, compressor and hook up the existing wire to everything in my bed and I will be done.
The only additional thing that I am going to do, is change out my short horn, for one of the longer additional horns that I am getting so that I will get a lower sound. I would rather sound like a semi truck than a train.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 AM
abarmby
Champion

L and R Two

Nice one.
I bet you can't wait to get up and running again [sm=wootwoot.gif][sm=happy046.gif]

Quick Reply: Seige Engineering train horns, buyers beware