3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Increase Horsepower ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:26 PM
deanj287
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Increase Horsepower ???

^^^ different dynos run different numbers by far. and if its not corrected.... well you get the idea. get a cam. a mild cam will net 20-40 rwhp. its hard though once you dealize how simple it is to swap a cam to not keep goin to a bigger one and then heads, turbo or blower and finally a stroker with some spray. hope you know your twelve steps... your gona needthem to get off this addiction

Old 12-26-2007, 03:57 PM
casper3380
Veteran

an old thread. sure. K i see what hammer and others have said, but what if you can either get a cai or programmer. what should i consider. Need some advice on this one guys. thx

Old 12-26-2007, 04:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: casper3380

an old thread. sure. K i see what hammer and others have said, but what if you can either get a cai or programmer. what should i consider. Need some advice on this one guys. thx
Well, as I said before, I think it should be Exhaust, then CAI, then Programmer. Now if you are saying that you have the exhaust but can ONLY EVER get one or the other then I'd probably say to get a good drop in filter (like a K&N) then opt for the tuner...

Old 12-26-2007, 04:59 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With just the CAI and exhaust I made 267 RWHP.

I agree the next thing would be the sc tuner for the money.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:32 PM
casper3380
Veteran

i should have been more specific, but was late for work. As she sits she is totally stock, and the exhaust will cost quite a bit, so i was thinking either cai or tuner. Also, has anyone had any dealings with the edge tuners and the hemi. So for now the exhaust will have to wait.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:34 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to choose, go with the tuner. Our filter set up flows pretty good stock as long as you stay on top of it and don't let it get to dirty. But make sure your next mod is the CAI (this is assuming that you already have an exhaust).

Old 12-26-2007, 05:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

casper,
save your pennies for an exhaust! The CAI would be worthless if you are bottlenecking on the exhaust side. Likewise, a tuner as your only mod I think is also a waste, yea, it'll advance the timing a little, but you really need to start with the exhaust first. Besides, a you should be able to get a good exhaust job done with a decently flowing muffler for less than the price of a tuner. And you could get a NICE bolt on, complete exhaust kit and do it yourself in the driveway in a couple of hours forWAY less than a tuner...

Old 12-26-2007, 06:05 PM
casper3380
Veteran

i think i will take your advise hammer, exhaust first, and even a drop in to start with is better than stock. So now to finalize my exhaust choice, magnaflow, or a possible good flowing other brand. not too sure of the flowmasters. hearing alot of flow problems with them.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:02 PM
pcollins
Veteran

i think i will take your advise hammer, exhaust first, and even a drop in to start with is better than stock. So now to finalize my exhaust choice, magnaflow, or a possible good flowing other brand. not too sure of the flowmasters. hearing alot of flow problems with them.
I have been debating this lately also casper. I am debating between the Magnaflows which give a deep hearty sound but arent jsut loud for the sake of being loud.... OR the Flowmaster 50 Series which have also gotten good reviews and provide a much more "deep" growl than the other flowmaster mufflers. For example, I will never go with the FM 40 series because they sound way to PINGY for me.. like a tin can banging around. I dont want my exhaust to be loud for no reason, I want you to know what is under my hood and hear the purr from that Hemi when I get on it!

Iwill probably end up with theMagnaflows to be honest. Check out www.moesperformance.com for some pretty good deals. This is most likely where I will get my mufflerfrom and then take it to a shop to have put on, along with some custom-fit pipes.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:33 PM
casper3380
Veteran

from what ive read, some people have had flow issues with flowmaster, so ive considered magnaflow, not sure if there are any other brands out there worth considering, will have to do some more looking i guess

Quick Reply: Increase Horsepower ???