3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'06 BDS Leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:59 PM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '06 BDS Leveling kit

http://www.bds-suspension.com/kits/261H

(sorry still new so not sure how to properly post a link)

Anyone have this? Do you see any problems that this kit might cause? Do you think it could be done by your average back yard mechanic?

Old 12-27-2007, 04:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: '06 BDS Leveling kit

Link was fine. I've not heard anything bad about their 2" level kit. They are all pretty much the same design.
You'll need a strut compressor to install them, other than that, just basic tools. Nothing too difficult.
Keep in mind, everyone using the stock rims are having clearance issues with the knuckles. You'll need to look into wheels with the proper offset and backspacing to fit larger tires even after the level kit...

Old 12-27-2007, 04:31 PM
RamWood
Professional

If there are clearance issues with the knuckles, would another kit work better? I love my 20s and I REALLY don't want to pay for another set.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Nope, from what I understand the coil over setup in the 06+ trucks have the issue with the stock 20" rims. Do a search on this forum, it's a popular subject. Lots of posts where guys lift their truck and buy bigger tires just to see that they either have to return them or purchase wheels with enough offset & backspace to clear the knuckles. Because of the clearance issue with the knuckles, anyone who lifts their truck and chooses to keep the stock wheels can only go to a tire that's just a hair bigger than stock.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:24 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stock 20 inch rims will work with the rough country leveling kit. i talked to them on the phone a little while ago and they said it will work fine and you dont need a spring compressor to install them either. i dont know first hand but i trust the guys at rough country know what their talking about

Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

i am trading a guy at work for his 17's trying to avoid this problem, it's only an issue with the 20's isn't it

Old 12-27-2007, 08:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: ****yhern

the stock 20 inch rims will work with the rough country leveling kit. i talked to them on the phone a little while ago and they said it will work fine and you dont need a spring compressor to install them either. i dont know first hand but i trust the guys at rough country know what their talking about
Yea, I just talked to a buddy of mine that has a rough country on his '06. They say you can use jack stands on the springs to keep them compressed, it's actually an old shade tree mechanic trick. Although with their lift being functionally the same as all the other coil spring spacers, I'll still bet money you'll have clearance issues with 35's and the stock rims, I don't care what the Rough Country tech says...

Old 12-27-2007, 09:46 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

yeah they wont fit with stock 20s and 35's. that wasnt the question here. in my case i dont go offroading i just wanted to level out the front and get a better gripping tire( stock goodyears suck in the rain and snow) no leveling kit out there will give the clearance to fit 35s on 20s on a 1500, on a 2500 its a different story ( so ive heard. not 100% sure) if your just looking to level out your ride and keep your 20s the rough country level kit will work out fine for you. if you decide you want to get a more aggressive tire later on you will be fine up and down all around but mighthave a problem with the width of certain tires. the spacer wont change the way your truck functions. the knuckles shoudl stay in the same spot correct? i may be wrong and im not trying to be a smartass here hammer just trying to pass on the research ive done in the last 2 weeks with different sites and different suspension/tire shops....

Old 12-28-2007, 08:34 AM
RamWood
Professional

Yeah, I have no interest in getting bigger tires. I would just like the truck to be leveled out. I don't need an off road machine just something that is a good curb crawler is all, and good in the snow.

so then is it true that with ONLY the leveling kit and a STOCK tire size this setup woudl work? I want the look but I also want to keep this truck for 7+ years.

Quick Reply: '06 BDS Leveling kit