3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 RAM 1500 4x4 PROBLEM OVERHEATING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
DodgeRamer03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 RAM 1500 4x4 PROBLEM OVERHEATING!!!

[:@]After the problems with my Idler Pulley (I replaced), I started getting problems with the truck overheating, well unfortunately I had one the money for one part, the idler pulley, or a thermostat, so I bought an idler pulley awaiting my check to come in to buy the thermostat. Anyways I took ok the thermostat with thought that the truck would run fine. As I drove around I noticed that the needle would sky rocket after about 5-7 minutes of the truck being on, and I thought it was overheating, then when I checked the truck it was fine. Todayit did the same thing, accept this time I ignored it, thinking that the needle or sensor for the needle was bad, well the truck actually overheated. So I'm wondering if the trucks water pump is bad, or if its the radiator, or what it is? If someone could help me, I'd appreciate it, and your thoughts just may save me some money!!!!! Thanks~

Tj

Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2003 RAM 1500 4x4 PROBLEM OVERHEATING!!!

Air in the coolant system. You can purge the air, usually there are bleeders near the TStat housing or along the top hose. Or your TStat could be bad as well. But the bleeding is free.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:59 PM
DodgeRamer03

Well I changed out the coolant, and coulda sworn that I got the air out properly, by adding the coolant, starting the truck and leaving the cap off, the after allowing the coolant to go through the system, then re-applying the cap. Did I do something wrong? And if so what's the most proper way to get all of the air out of the system step-by-step. I'm not trying to play stupid, nor am I, just a simple question, looking for a little help that's all. Please and Thanks!

TJ

Old 10-24-2007, 08:35 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah when i do anything with the cooling system i'll fill up the radiator as full as it will go, leave the cap off and then start the truck and keep adding fluid as it goes down (try to keep it filled to the top to apply more pressure and force air out of the system) and then put the cap on once the fluid level quits goin down and you should be golden

Old 10-26-2007, 09:32 AM
rcalbat

There is also a bleeder screw for purging the air , follow the water inlet hose to where it connects
to the block , there is a screw , you loosen it slowly until just coolant comes out and no air.

I had the same problems you are describing , i tried the thermostat , it eneded up being a
bad radiator , the dealership wanted $600.00 for the reapirs.

Quick Reply: 2003 RAM 1500 4x4 PROBLEM OVERHEATING!!!