3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for feedback on 03 1500 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 12:31 PM
brokenwings
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for feedback on 03 1500 4.7

TLDR - I bought a beater 03 1500 4.7 extremely cheap, it needed a ton of work to get to the point where it could pass inspection and be street legal.

I purchased the truck for $3000 and have had these repairs performed -

-New cylinder head (machine shop job) due to cylinders losing compression and misfiring
-New O2 sensor
-New oil pressure sensor
-New oil pump
-Various new evap parts (hoses etc).
-New radiator
-Throttle body clean
-Oil pan removal with complete oil system clean
-Various other small components to support these changes
-New wheel bearing (old one was on its last breath)
-New tires, new headlight fixtures

Now to the advice I'm looking for -
It starts up really strong, drives fantastic and has passed inspection,
My entire investment to get to this point including the price of the truck is around $5800
My goal was to not invest more than $6k into a truck that I just want to use for recreational activities and be able to beat it up without worrying about the appearance etc.
It still has an issue related to oil pressure, when at idle the idiot gage will occasionally dip to 0 and then back to the 'safe' reading during acceleration.
My mechanic believes it might be faulty bearing internally and to fix this would be another machine shop job approximately $1500 - $2k in cost.
If anyone has experience around this type of hiccup, could I reasonably expect to get enough use out of the truck as is and just drive it into the ground or would this type of problem create new problems for me immediately?

Basically, I dont mind if it takes a **** again in the future as long as I could use it for the forseeable future (maybe 30-50k miles?). I have also thought about selling it as is (maybe the truck is in a perfect place for a mechanic, or someone else who wants to iron out all issues), but would be ok driving something that is short of perfection if it doesn't mean impending doom is just around the corner.

TIA!

Old 06-15-2023, 02:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I would screw in a mechanical gauge first, and see what oil pressure is really doing. The electrical gauges are notoriously problematic.

That said, if it drops to zero at hot idle, but jumps right back up if you give it barely any gas at all, that's a bad sending unit. No, it doesn't matter there is a new on in there. "New" does not always equal "Good".

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback on 03 1500 4.7