3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 Mega Cab TPMS ?

Old 12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
GoDawgs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Mega Cab TPMS ?

I finally got my 08 mega cab this week. I had an 06 GMC 1500 crew and can say that I am impressed so far. The ride quality is excellent for such a big truck.

The only issue I have sso far is the TPMS light in the guage cluster is on. When I press the light load button, it will blink several times and then go off. I have checked my tire pressures and they are all good.

Anyone have any suggestion on getting this light to go off?

Thanks - I will post some pics of the new truck later thsi week

Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 PM
rebelz99
Professional
Default RE: 08 Mega Cab TPMS ?

Look for the sticker on the driver door, it will tell you what ratio your tire should have. Under ligth load and heavy load. On my 2500HD under ligth load I need to have 60 psi front and 45 back tires. Just set your pressure as per the sticker and everything should be fine. Personally I hate this system so I removed the damn ligth.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 PM
dieseldoc1
Professional

if nothing else try unhooking the negative batt cable for a for 2 min.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:39 PM
1 Big B
Professional

+1 good explaination. I had the same thing when I got new 35" on mine. Just double check the presure and that should fix it. It may take a 15 miles for the sytem to reset it self but just be patient.
B

Old 12-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I noticed when I got my rig that the factory or the dealership had set tires pressures to the amount that would be in a 1500, not my Cummins powered 2500, I bumped them uip to 60 and 70 front and rear respectivley and noticed better mileage, and no more tire pressure light...

Old 01-21-2009, 11:51 AM
LaurenceHolbrook
Default More TPMS -

These are older posts and this maybe a dead thread, but two related questions - I use my 2500 RAM 4WD Quad Diesel to pull a 5 Ton toy hauler which I live in (with my Harley in garage) - I normally would inflate all tires (truck and trailer) to the pressure for maximum load capacity - I 'thought' that would minimize tire wear (flexing/heating) -

Is this no longer a good idea? - Should I be running reduced front/rear pressures per the placard when hauling a load?

Do I need to reduce my tire pressures when I'm not hauling the trailer, so called 'light load? -

Am I jeapordizing life/limb of me and my fellow citizens? -

Thanks for anyone's help

Larry Holbrook

Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LaurenceHolbrook
These are older posts and this maybe a dead thread, but two related questions - I use my 2500 RAM 4WD Quad Diesel to pull a 5 Ton toy hauler which I live in (with my Harley in garage) - I normally would inflate all tires (truck and trailer) to the pressure for maximum load capacity - I 'thought' that would minimize tire wear (flexing/heating) -

Is this no longer a good idea? - Should I be running reduced front/rear pressures per the placard when hauling a load?

Do I need to reduce my tire pressures when I'm not hauling the trailer, so called 'light load? -

Am I jeapordizing life/limb of me and my fellow citizens? -

Thanks for anyone's help

Larry Holbrook
Depending on the tire, an over inflated tire for no weight will wear faster because tires begin to crown. Also, I notice a big ride quality difference with just 5psi difference in the tires.
If your hauling all the time, just run 5psi less than the max and you'll be fine. Happy medium. Just remember that's cold air inflation. When air is hot it expands. Sometimes up to 5/6psi. If 60psi is max rating, the tire could see up to 65psi or so when traveling highway speeds. This is fine. But cold the pressure needs to be no higher than the tire rating.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Mike101

Give up !! I have done the up and down on the tire pressure, towing, not towing, it just keeps beeping and flashing at the oddest times. I have talked to the dealer and worked on it myself, even bought a compressor to play the up and down pressure game and nothing. Button pushed, unhooked, re-set, tried it all and it has a mind of its own. So my advice, get use to it as part of your dash. I now keep all tires at 60 psi front and back. Lately it beeps on the highway, flashes a few times and soon as I hit a pothole or bump, it goes off. I just ignore it now. But I still love my mega cab. We have a bus strike in Ottawa right now so need to sit 90-120 mins in traffic every night and no care because I am in my truck.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:59 PM
DODGECITY

Look in your owners manual and it will tell you the proper way to use the light load feature. There actually is a step by step process that is simple to follow that will take care of that problem. Plus look on the label on the drivers door and it will tell you the proper PSI for your tires when you use that feature...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
sos
All Star

It could also be a bad TPMS sensor. Mine beeps once for each of the tires that is under-inflated. In fact, the other day when it was below zero, it was beeping 4 times every time I started my truck because all 4 of them had dropped below the recommended pressure. I don't know how they can test them, but I'd check into that. Also, check the spare. Mine doesn't have a sensor on it, but I've heard some people do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 Mega Cab TPMS ?