3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What does P0404 mean

Old 03-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many threads discussing P0404, so I thought this would be the most relevant to update. I replaced the EGR for my truck, back in August, for this issue with a BWD product from O'Reilly Auto. 4,500 miles later, the same code has appeared. I still have the receipt for the limited lifetime warranty, so the outcome will be interesting. I'm ticked it didn't last for very long. Also note that I replaced it at the 100,000 mile service interval where I replaced the spark plugs, coil boots, air filter, and also removed and thoroughly cleaned the throttle body.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:49 AM
axeman_87
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes exactly same thing basically with me. A year ago the P0404 came up so i changed the EGR and same time changed spark plugs, oil change, AIR filter clean, throttle body clean, and wiped the intake out,. Now it came back again. one year for an EGR is ridiculous. I don't care if its 70 bucks, it should last longer than that. of course i cant find my receipt.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Gary-L
Legend

It's weird. While driving this week, I kept hearing some kind of fluttering sound emanating from the engine bay. It would come and go with no pattern of when or how long it would occur. The fluttering, as well as the CEL, went away. IIRC, this happened the last time the EGR died. I'm betting it throws a code in another week or two.

I'll update this thread if anything changes in this situation.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Gary-L
Legend

To follow-up on my earlier post, the EGR code cleared itself. I believe the problem was loose bits of carbon breaking free in the system as I poured an entire can of Seafoam into the fuel tank. I figured the Seafoam would help clear out carbon deposits since we cleaned a lot of gunk and crank off the throttle body at the 100K maintenance. Gas mileage increased from an average of 16.4mpg to 17.2mpg. I'll probably run another can through the next time I fill the tank and then maybe make it a practice during every oil change.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been having the CEL go on and off intermittently for a few weeks now, registering as the P0404/EGR. I've replaced the EGR valve in my truck probably 4 times, maybe. First time it caused a noticeable change in performance. Second time it died with no previous CEL or indication while driving through a village right after I got off the Autobahn (luckily), and the other times I think I just took care of it when the CEL came on before anything bad happened. Not sure what's going on this time, but I partly want to attribute it to the absolutely ****ty roads here in Hawaii that I have to drive to work on every day (Kamehameha on Pearl side, if anyone is familiar right now with all the rail construction going on). I swear that road is shaking my vehicle apart more and more every day...

Old 03-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Chet, back when I replaced my EGR we cleaned the pipe and everything else. A few years ago, a friend of mine was battling an EGR problem with his Nissan. It turned out a capillary tube was blocked with bits of carbon. Some work with Brake Kleen and a pipe cleaner remedied the issue. You might pull the throttle body, hit it with throttle body cleaner, check the EGR pipe for blockage, and run some Seafoam for a couple of tanks.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:12 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That's probably not a bad idea. I cleaned the throttle body last year, but I'm interested to see just how much buildup it's accumulated in this short time. I had a pretty good suspicion that the problem was not with the EGR valve, itself, but somewhere in the line.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Gary-L
Legend

I must have used half a can of throttle body cleaner (don't use carb cleaner) to get my throttle body looking good. Pull the EGR tube and inspect for blockages. Pretty much go through everything and then run some Seafoam. You might also run some Marvel Mystery through the fuel system every other tank.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:10 AM
Gary-L
Legend

The CEL illuminated about two weeks ago, extinguished after a litter over one week of driving, and then re-lit two days ago. Meanwhile, my mileage ranges from 16.8mpg - 17.3mpg (highway). Once I'm done with school (semester and all) I'm pulling the EGR to fully examine all tubes an associated attachment points.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Gary-L
Legend

I wanted to update this thread. I *finally* got around to replacing the EGR on my truck. Yes, I waited over a year to deal with it mainly because I had to dig up the receipt for the warranty exchange. I had replaced the stock, failed EGR with a BWD unit which, according to my research, is "decent". Overall, I believe splurging for a MOPAR EGR is best.

Does anyone know if running Seafoam through the engine will help burn off carbon build-up in the head? The tube from the EGR to the throttle body has always been free of any obstruction; however, I can see there being an issue with the head.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What does P0404 mean