3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Zerex G-05 coolant with factory coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:09 AM
Dodge05Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zerex G-05 coolant with factory coolant?

Hey guys,

I used to own an Intrepid, and now am the proud owner of an 05 Ram. I noticed the coolant tank is low so I thought about mixing the Zerex G-05 coolant I had left over with the factory red coolant in the 05 Ram. Thereshouldn't be any problems mixing the Zerex with the red coolant, right? Of course I'll be mixing distilled water with the Zerex. Let me know. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:17 AM
spud11
Veteran
Default RE: Zerex G-05 coolant with factory coolant?

Far as I know, the red or pinkish stuff is Dex-Cool, and you can't mix anything with that. Apperntly Dex-Cool is a "tempermental" kind of coolant and won't mix with others. Also most of the Ram engine is alum. and you have to make sure you don't put glycol based coolants as they will corrode the alum. I might be wrong but thats whgat I've been told, if I am wrong someone will point it out quick here.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:49 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why chance it. Stop by the dealership and pickup what's recommended.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Dodge05Ram

I appreciate the replies. Before making this post, I searched all the forums & found that people highly recommend the Zerex coolant if not factory. Also I understand that Dex-Cool is extremely harmful to our coolant system so why would the factory pour that stuff? If that was the case, then every Ram owner on this board would recommend that we all flush our coolant system.

So again, I have the factory Mopar red coolant in my coolant system and I need to top off. I have some Zerex G-05 & am wondering if it will be ok to mix the Zerex coolant fluid with the red factory coolant? Thanks!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

As far as I know the factory mopar coolant is the same as dex-cool...it's just not called dex-cool because GM owns it. Both are long life coolants made for aluminum block engines. Zerex's site says it's compatible with chryslers coolant so you should be good there. http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10

Theorange long life coolant (dex cool, mopar, zerex) is perfectly safe if properly maintained....so flush it at the regular service intervals and you'll be fine. The problems start with neglected coolant systems, the coolant turns acidic and can cause damage.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 PM
PanzonYMariposa

I have the Zerex in my truck. I think Valvoline makes the MOPAR branded coolant that came factory and then sells the same or a similar formula as their Zerex G-05 so there shouldn't be any problem mixing the two

Old 01-01-2008, 06:54 PM
PanzonYMariposa

oh DEX-COOL and G-05 are not the same. DEX-COOL is an non silicated organic acid and G-05 is a moderately silicated hybrid organic acid. The old green stuff was a highly silicated stuff so you can mix the G-05 with a little of the old electric green coolant without any ill effects but you shouldn't mix it with DEX-COOL

Old 01-01-2008, 06:57 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: PanzonYMariposa

oh DEX-COOL and G-05 are not the same. DEX-COOL is an non silicated organic acid and G-05 is a moderately silicated hybrid organic acid. The old green stuff was a highly silicated stuff so you can mix the G-05 with a little of the old electric green coolant without any ill effects but you shouldn't mix it with DEX-COOL
What about mixing it with the factory mopar then?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
reiderr
Professional

Folks, MOPAR factory coolant is NOT Dexcool. It is orange, but that is just a dye. The underlying chemistry is very different and the 2 should NOT be mixed. Don't ever put Dexcool in a MOPAR to topoff the original factory coolant. I learned this the hardway--2 water pumps and a leaking front cover gasket. Zerex G05 is compatible with MOPAR coolants and can be mixed with factory fills. For best results, either stick with MOPAR or flush'n fill with Zerex G05. In theory, the "universal" Prestone coolant could be used as a top-off, but I have no experience with mixing with MOPAR coolant. I do, in every GM car I maintain, completely flush the Dexcool and replace with Prestone Universal.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:11 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would just flush the system and put what you want in there. Depending on how many miles you're at, you may be due for it anyway. That's the thing about used cars, no matter what the previous owner tells you they have done to it, you can never be too careful. Change the oil, filter, plugs, flush the coolant, and service your differential, put your mind at ease. Spend a little now, to save a lot later...

Quick Reply: Zerex G-05 coolant with factory coolant?