3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronic Throttle Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
You might need to clean all the crap out ofthe throttle body....remove it and use carb cleaner.

Along with the trick above you can buy a OBD-II scanner pretty cheap...it'll display the code and definition for you. Most handheld tuners also offer this feature...both will clear the codes also.
Brother, there are a lot of new guys jumped on this thread and I believe you misprinted your statement. It should read "Do Not use Carb Cleaner". This is clearly stated in the service manual.
Good luck..

Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

use non-chlorinated brake cleaner and an old toothbrush if you want

Old 11-23-2010, 10:17 AM
janie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the steps that were given on how to clean the throttle and let me tell you that i have not seen that light turn on. It has been already like 5 months since i cleaned it. Please do not use carb cleaner, use the brake cleaner and wipe it dry very well. Thanks to the person who supplied the pictures with the steps on removing it, cleaning and putting it back. They were very helpful that I printed them and put it in my truck folder.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Buggsy
Professional

I believe you guys about using brake cleaner, but does anyone know why carb cleaner isn't acceptable? First thing I did was clean mine out, and I used carb cleaner. I knew some Fords had a sort of Teflon coating, and you had to use special cleaner for them. Is this a similar case?

EDIT: Oh, I found that it only applies to the 5.7 TB. Carb cleaner is fine on the 4.7 TB.

Last edited by Buggsy; 11-23-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Found part of what I wanted to know
Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 AM
knightridergsxr

Originally Posted by janie
I used the steps that were given on how to clean the throttle and let me tell you that i have not seen that light turn on. It has been already like 5 months since i cleaned it. Please do not use carb cleaner, use the brake cleaner and wipe it dry very well. Thanks to the person who supplied the pictures with the steps on removing it, cleaning and putting it back. They were very helpful that I printed them and put it in my truck folder.

where did you find the write up and pics?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

In the FAQ section at the top of this forum section

Old 11-24-2010, 10:56 PM
knightridergsxr

damn thing did it to me again today on my way up to big bear. I put the tow/haul switch on and 5 miles down the road bam. pulled over reset and I made it all the way home but I can tell it isnt getting the power it normally has. I am going to tear the throttle open first thing in the morning before I head out for Thanksgiving with a truck load of dirt bikes. Not a good week.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 PM
knightridergsxr

that didn't take long to do at all and man there ws a lot of gunk on there. looks brand new now. so far 150 miles hauling bikes and no light and better gas mileage. fingers crossed.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Gizzmo2006
Default Electronic Throttle Control & Check Engine Light

I recently replaced the engine in my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi. I replaced it with the exact same engine from the same vehicle only mine is a 4 wheel drive and that was 2 wheel drive vehicle. I was able to start it just fine the first time with no problems or leaks. After driving about seven miles my check engine light came on. After another three miles the electronic throttle control light came on. Until the ETC light came on my temperature guage would not work. Another symptom I am not sure how it is connected is my heater will not put out the heat that it used to. It runs, just not at what it was. I have checked all the fluids, looked for loose wires, and cannot get anything. Also when I do the code check the ETC will not register because the engine has to be on 5 minutes before it will come on again. The engine runs normal but gives me the P2181 error code every time.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:52 PM
gordie580
Professional

does anyone have a link or anything else that will give directions on how to remove the throttle body.. I looked in the FAQ and i didn't find it. I need to clean my TB since when it gets really cold it acts up.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Problems