3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronic Throttle Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 AM
ABNDaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My 08' had the ETC code

When my 08 started acting up, giving me the lightening bolt, loosing power shutting down etc.. I enentually discovered that one of the sensor wires was rub down bedised the oil Filter and had rubbed on the engine casuing the wire to be exposed and shorting out which caused it to shut down .. loose power, then drive fine for awhile then act up again.. Check it out that may be your solution also.. theres a few wires that are routed right beside the oil filter and over a shop edege...

Old 12-22-2014, 09:14 PM
azngosh8r

Originally Posted by ABNDaddy
When my 08 started acting up, giving me the lightening bolt, loosing power shutting down etc.. I enentually discovered that one of the sensor wires was rub down bedised the oil Filter and had rubbed on the engine casuing the wire to be exposed and shorting out which caused it to shut down .. loose power, then drive fine for awhile then act up again.. Check it out that may be your solution also.. theres a few wires that are routed right beside the oil filter and over a shop edege...

Thanks I will check that tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Running Turtle
Angry Electronic Throttle Control intermittent

I've read most of the eight pages of replies but I haven't seen my exact issue. So I'm hoping someone has a fix

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with 150,000 miles: I'm currently getting the Electronic Throttle Control light. 75% if I turn the truck off and turn it back on it will clear up. Drove it all day yesterday without a problem. Hopped in this morning and I can't get the Electronic Throttle Control to clear. It is an intermittent issue so I'm having the same struggles others have had with the dealership or mechanics believing that its an issue.

I've already had the Throttle Body replaced once (couple weeks ago) and it did not fix it. I've had them trace the wiring and fix some ends but it still has the issue. I'm starting to question the mechanic's ability to fix the issue (claims its fixed everytime) but there aren't many options in this town.

Any suggestions on what it could be or the next steps I should take. I've already poured too much into trying to fix a single issue.

Last edited by Running Turtle; 06-01-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:57 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

When you changed it, did you disconnect the battery?

SJ03

Old 06-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Running Turtle

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe02
When you changed it, did you disconnect the battery?

SJ03
I'm not a car guy (I'm learning) so I took it to a Mechanic. So I can only assume they did it properly.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Bda123075
Default Electronic control problems

I have a 2007 Ram quad cab and went through the same thing for about 6 months....long story short and $$$$$ later, we finally had the ECM replaced and it fixed the problem. The error codes that were continuously displayed turned out to be false hit from the ECM (replaced what the error codes said was wrong and it never helped). Finally ran across a parts manager at the Dodge dealership that had run across this scenario and knew the ECM had gone bad....the error codes never pointed to it but once replaced I never had any more issues...it has been almost a year and still runs great!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Running Turtle

Originally Posted by Bda123075
I have a 2007 Ram quad cab and went through the same thing for about 6 months....long story short and $$$$$ later, we finally had the ECM replaced and it fixed the problem. The error codes that were continuously displayed turned out to be false hit from the ECM (replaced what the error codes said was wrong and it never helped). Finally ran across a parts manager at the Dodge dealership that had run across this scenario and knew the ECM had gone bad....the error codes never pointed to it but once replaced I never had any more issues...it has been almost a year and still runs great!
Thank you for your information. I was afraid that was the direction I'd have to go. The Mechanic suggested it but that was after declaring it "fixed" multiple times. So I wanted someone else to tell me that too

Old 06-10-2015, 11:02 AM
codybowcut

Is there a common problem that trips the ETC warning system? Mine tripped today. I lost control of the throttle, the light flashed, and I pulled over. I turned the truck off and then re-started it and it runs as it should. The Check Engine Light is on, I'm sure due to the problem. I haven't had much time to research it since I'm at work. But after having to replace my EGR valve and now this, on a truck I bought a month ago, I'm about to blow a gasket about this thing. Love Dodge trucks but come on.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Cameron95

Originally Posted by reddawg9
I am having this problem too with my 07 ram 1500 5.7 hemi. When I had the codes read it came back P0344. With a definition of cam sensor defective (replaced with mopar sensor a month ago), check connector to wiring and sensor, engine mechanical condition-timing belt/chain out of time. Cylinder misfire.

I didn't have any problems for about 2 months then all the sudden it does it 4 times in one week. Usually within the first 20 minutes of driving the ETC light comes on and I lose acceleration. It seems that it only happens when it is really hot out.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this? The family is going on vacation in 2 weeks, kinds need to fix this fast.
Did you ever get that fixed i have that issue now and i have 2007 ram 1500 5.7 and getting the same readings when i go to someone

Old 07-14-2015, 10:46 AM
codybowcut

My 07 Ram 1500 / 5.7L Hemi seems to have contracted a serious gremlin. It started with an EGR malfunction code. I replaced that easy enough. A few days later I get the ETC warning flashing and the truck goes into limp mode. I turn the truck off and then on again all seems normal, but the engine light comes on a few miles down the road. I don't get time to pull the code cause it goes off after I park my truck at work and restart it to go home. I thought it had something to do with the ECM getting used to the new part I installed and thought nothing of it. The truck runs fine for a few weeks then the ETC warning and limp mode happen several times a week. When the engine light did come on it was for my cam position sensor. The light would go off, then a few days later on again. I replaced the sensor and a few hours later limp mode and ETC warning again. It clears no engine light running well. That was yesterday. Today on the way to work the engine light comes on, cam position sensor P0344 and P1268??? Tha heck is going on with this thing???

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Problems