3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronic Throttle Control Problems

Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
gronotte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Throttle Control Problems

Hi,
I have an 03 Ram 1500w/hemi and the check engine lite comes on with the ETC lite flashing on the dash after a couple hours of freeway driving. It never happens in city driving. I reboot by disconnecting the battery and it cures the problem for a couple more hours.
Does anyone have an idea or two?
Help Please
Bob [align=right][/align]

Old 01-04-2008, 11:56 AM
abarmby
Champion
Default RE: Electronic Throttle Control Problems

Do the key trick and find out what codes are being thrown.
What you do is, turn the ignition keyfrom the off to just when the ignition only lights come on, on the dashbaord. but not the last click on the switch so as to start it.
Quickly turn it back to the off position.
Then do this a further 2 times, making three in all and leave it in the ignition on position on the third time.
It should take 2-3 seconds to do this correctly.
Then, on this third try, look at where the oddometer displays the mileage on your dashboard display.
You will find that the computer runs through some checks and any codes that have been thrown, will be displayed in the oddometer as P---- a 4 digit number.
Make a note of these codes and the prefix letter.
Do a search on this board for error codes and look them up.
This will tell you what system/part, is causing your check lights to come on.
That will narrow things down a bit.
Post your codes up on this board and the guys will give you a heads up, on what to either check/clean or replace.
This will work for 03 Hemis and others,as I do it on my 03 and it works 100%.
If you can't get the codes up in the oddometer display, your turning your key incorrectly.
Hope this helps and post up your codes.
Al.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

You might need to clean all the crap out ofthe throttle body....remove it and use carb cleaner.

Along with the trick above you can buy a OBD-II scanner pretty cheap...it'll display the code and definition for you. Most handheld tuners also offer this feature...both will clear the codes also.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gronotte,

First, get the FSM here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...-weedahoe.html for your truck, its the bible to how it's built---and its free!!!!

Then get the DTC codes for the problem from the dash or scanner---the dash is free, like Al pointed out.

Then look up the codes that are stored in the FSM you just downloaded. Pay particular attention to the cleaning section about you TB------VERY DELICATE AND VERY EXPENSIVE IF YOU SCREW IT UP, IT HAS HAPPENED TO A FEW GUYS HERE ON THE FORUM. AND YOU WON'T JUST RUN TO THE DEALER TO BUY A NEW ONE!!!!!!

The FSM will almost walk you through a complete diagnostics a troubleshooting of whatever the DTC code is that is stored

Good Luck---I hope this helps

Post back if you need more help

Last edited by Gone Fishin; 12-25-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: info change
Old 01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
gronotte

Thanks for the info, it seemed to work but no codes came up. It just said donE. I may need to have it trip the lite again and not reboot so as to get a code at that time. It seems to have not stored one. Many thanks and I will keep you posted.
Bob

Old 01-14-2008, 02:36 PM
gronotte

thanks for the tips
Bob

Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 PM
gronotte

great site thanks
bob

Old 01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

didja getit fingered out??????

Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 PM
kenihemi
All Star

There are a lot of conditions that will set the etc lightning bolt, but not a cel. And its not always the etc.

That light means 'limp mode' more than anything.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Craigenstein
Default '03 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, w/ 5.7L Hemi ETC Light

Hello,

I am a brand new member of the site. I registered right after I saw the good advice that was given to another member that had the EXACT problem I had. I was driving over the mountains this last weekend, had the cruise control set at 69 MPH, and the check engine light (CEL) along with the "electronic throttle control" light (ETC - lightening bolt with brackets) began flashing. I read the owners manual and it said I may have to have it towed ! I checked all my fluids, and checked for signs of obvious damage...all was good. When I re-started the truck, the CEL remained on, but the ETC light had gone out. So, I continued on my way. Yesterday morning I fired it up and went to work, and the CEL was on, but still no ETC light. finally, last night on the way home, no more CEL. Does that mean it corrected itself ? Will the "key trick" show me the codes that WERE there, or only "active" codes when the CEL is illuminated ? Any ideas what might be causing the intermittent light(s) ? Thanks,

Craig

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Problems