3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No brake lights on box, 3rd brake light works.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:39 PM
gokawi03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brake lights on box, 3rd brake light works.

2004 Dodge Ram Hemi. O.K., I am really frustrated. The box brake lights do not work. The 3rd brake light is working. The tail light and turn signals are working. Any suggestions? I have checked the fuses, relays and wiring. Everything seems to look good. Please help...

Last edited by gokawi03; 02-23-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
gokawi03

Also, the lamp out light is on, on the dash. I pulled the brake light switch. I have no way of knowing if it is bad though?? Not sure what the ohms readings should be?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:47 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Either a short in the line if you have an aftermarket tow package or you simply just need new bulbs!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Mopar2511
Rookie

you can get a new light switch for about ten bucks mine went bad. but get a multimeter and check the wiring resistance from the point where the wiring splits from the third brake light back. you might have corrosion in the wires even though it looks ok on the outside. im a diesel mechanic and it happens to our trucks a lot.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a lamp out light come on just a couple days ago and it turned out only the brake light didnt work regular lights do but when you hit the brake at night it doesnt go off but during the day you get 1 of the filiments to go off which led me to think something else was causing the problem

Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
gokawi03

I tested for power at the plug under the firewall. It was inconsistent. Same as back at the tail light. I am just wondering if the brake switch would cause that? I put one new bulb in for the heck of it but still nothing. The tail assy has 3 bulbs in one housing. The bottom is reverse, so what one is supposed to be the brake? The problem is not the tow package because it exists long before where that is tapped in. Thanks for the input guys. Any more suggestions?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
gokawi03

Originally Posted by Ridinhigh
i had a lamp out light come on just a couple days ago and it turned out only the brake light didnt work regular lights do but when you hit the brake at night it doesnt go off but during the day you get 1 of the filiments to go off which led me to think something else was causing the problem

Did you find the issue yet?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
gokawi03

Originally Posted by Mopar2511
you can get a new light switch for about ten bucks mine went bad. but get a multimeter and check the wiring resistance from the point where the wiring splits from the third brake light back. you might have corrosion in the wires even though it looks ok on the outside. im a diesel mechanic and it happens to our trucks a lot.
You know, I thought of doing that but I was assuming that they somehow ran off a second circuit or something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No brake lights on box, 3rd brake light works.