3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's the Oil capacity for a 4.7 in a Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:01 PM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's the Oil capacity for a 4.7 in a Ram 1500

Thanks for the help guys, everything was fine, the wife went out and checked it. I guess the District Manager just fat fingered the 4.5 quart thing. She even commented on how light looking it was another good sign to it being new oil and I hope a new filter.
Again thanks to all

JD1500 your a funny guy,YES I read the manual, about 10 months ago when I was back home, I guess I could have pulled the one I had in my back ACU (Army Combat Uniform) pocket... oh wait the U.S. Army doesn't issue those paperish Dodge Ram manuals to us over here in the Iraq. Your Tax dollar is going towards other things. I was just worriedmy memory was going, you know the age thing and all. My surfing the net was going slow.[/b]
[/b]
Stay cool JD1500[/b][/b]

H-

Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 PM
wildgoose2151
Default RE: What's the Oil capacity for a 4.7 in a Ram 1500

Thanks for all the information about the oil capacity in a ram 1500 with a 4.7 engine including filter. I looked all through my owners manual today and I couldn't find it anywhere. I had changes oil and filter on January 30 and I only put in 5 quarts which I figured was correct. Then when we went camping on Feb 13 my SIL check my oil and said it was 2 qts low so he added two quarts. I did notice my dip stick was bent in a couple of places so today I straightened it out and it showed roughly a half quart over full. So today I drained out about a quart and now it read a half quart low. So I will leave it there for now. I still find it hard to believe that the owner's manual doesn't give the capacity anywhere. Not with or without filter.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 PM
kah1010

Originally Posted by wildgoose2151
Thanks for all the information about the oil capacity in a ram 1500 with a 4.7 engine including filter. I looked all through my owners manual today and I couldn't find it anywhere. I had changes oil and filter on January 30 and I only put in 5 quarts which I figured was correct. Then when we went camping on Feb 13 my SIL check my oil and said it was 2 qts low so he added two quarts. I did notice my dip stick was bent in a couple of places so today I straightened it out and it showed roughly a half quart over full. So today I drained out about a quart and now it read a half quart low. So I will leave it there for now. I still find it hard to believe that the owner's manual doesn't give the capacity anywhere. Not with or without filter.
I do have a -08 RAM 1500 (4.7L) and its manual says 6.0qts (Section 7 - Maintaining Your Vehicle; Fluid capacities, p 497)

K

Old 02-21-2009, 11:35 PM
sos
All Star

I know it's been said, but that price sounds about right for them. Their posted prices only include up to 5 quarts of oil, so when I take my work van there (it's a fleet vehicle), there's usually a separate line item for that extra quart it takes. It's about $40 for the oil change with conventional for the van, so $66 seems about right. I took my Ram there for the first oil change because I had to get it done and didn't have the time or facilities, but I probably will never go back there with the Ram. I just don't trust the way they are running around, claiming to check fluids, etc. I caught them trying to put the wrong oil in on that first change even though I specified what I wanted.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Couldn't pay me to bring my truck to a jiffy lube...i'd rather rip off my left nut and make it my bubble gum.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 PM
sos
All Star

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Couldn't pay me to bring my truck to a jiffy lube...i'd rather rip off my left nut and make it my bubble gum.
Jeez, I think I'd take my truck to Jiffy Lube first.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM
wildgoose2151

Mine is a 2002 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 engine, and I have an owners manual with 341 pages and it shows the different viscosity oils to use in different climates and locations, still no mention of the oil capacity. It also doesn't mention anything about the oil in my Warranty Information book.
Thanks

Quick Reply: What's the Oil capacity for a 4.7 in a Ram 1500