3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi mds

Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hemi mds

MDS is ok I guess, it takes some getting use to....for me at least. Even though you're just cruising or lightly on the throttle the truck feels a lot heavier when in MDS. It's hard to explain..

Old 02-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Kooda
Rookie

I am getting between 19-20 MPGs...you can't do that withoyt the MDS. The power is there when you need it.If you don't want MDS and you don't care about mileage, drive around in the tow/haul mode.

As for ALL the cat back systems sounding like crap with the MDS, my Borla system sounds AWESOME. Borla makes a system for the MDS Hemis, most other companies don't.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this is going to turn into another MDS debate. Did anyone who is anti MDS read the part that it takes something like .012seconds to switch from 4 to 8 cylinders. It's not like anyone would actually notice when they hit the gas any hesitation. When I am driving on the highway and in cruise but I hit the gas to pass someone my whole V-8 Hemi is there ready on demand. I damn sure don't notice any time I have ever hit the gas when my engine says, "wait a minute while I switch."

Now for the sound, with a stock exhaust you have to have exceptional hearing to "hear" your hemi switch from 8 to 4. Now with a flowmaster super 40 and the rear resonator removed I distinctly hear the difference. For those of you who will not admit, you know who you are, that you have the whole ***** envy dilema that if my truck sounds weak it makes everyone think I have alittle *****. Rest assured, I have listened to my truck while buddy was driving it and I was standing on the sidewalk to "hear the difference between MDS and non MDS (after I added my flowmaster). Yes, there is a little difference but not much. You would get a similar sound if you took your foot off the accelerator.

The bottom line on my take on the MDS is that when I hear it kick in I picture money going into my wallet as a result of gas savings.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pirata

The bottom line on my take on the MDS is that when I hear it kick in I picture money going into my wallet as a result of gas savings.
Now, P-man, what's a couple of bucks savings at the pump gonna mean to a rich son-of-a-biotch like you?

Besides, I don't really view it as a MDS/NON-MDS debate. I don't have much against MDS. I just personally have no use for it. It appears to work as advertised, doesn't take long to kick in and out and I'm sure gives a little better fuel economy. I just don't want it.
I'll better put it in perspective for an old army dog like you: I see nothing wrong with an AR-15, but I'm a throw back to the good old garand action, so I prefer a Mini-14. Can't really say which is better, but I'd personally take the Ruger over the Colt (Bushmaster, etc.) any day...

Old 02-09-2008, 12:23 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Hammer put it best, except for the part about bushamsters, id take anything over those, they suck

Old 02-09-2008, 12:40 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Pirata

Wow, this is going to turn into another MDS debate. Did anyone who is anti MDS read the part that it takes something like .012seconds to switch from 4 to 8 cylinders. It's not like anyone would actually notice when they hit the gas any hesitation. When I am driving on the highway and in cruise but I hit the gas to pass someone my whole V-8 Hemi is there ready on demand. I damn sure don't notice any time I have ever hit the gas when my engine says, "wait a minute while I switch."
Who said anything about hesitation? I said the truck feels a lot heavier when in MDS even when cruising. In traffic there's times when you're on the borderline of meeting the criteria to switch to 8 but you're not quite there. So you have to hit the gas harder then normal to go into 8in order tokeep up with traffic. It's not a huge deal but at times it can get annoying. When MDS doesshut offit is instant but you can tell when it engages/disengages....at least in a lighter truck like mine.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
53fireman
Rookie

I can definitely feel and hear when my '08 with 1100 miles kicks in and out of MDS... when I hit 16 or 18 MPH just cruising up my street, the truck has a sputtering type sound and you can definitely feel it. It has to be the MDS because as soon as you hit the gas or put it in TOW/HAUL mode, it takes off. I've also read about the temp needing to be at a certain temp for MDS to kick in, but mine does it as soon as I start the truck in 20 degree weather and start moving or after it's been warmed up for 5-10 mins. Service guy took it for a ride and said it appears normal and I took another newtruck out and it seemed to do it too, although not as bad. I'd rather just not have the MDS if it acts like this, unless there's something wrong with my truck in particular.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read where the 09's will have a light on the dash indicating when the MDS is active. This could be helpful to those that try to drive conservatively. My cummins will still pull it in half...

Old 02-11-2008, 10:55 AM
06Mopar
Professional

Well i have a flowmaster on mine and it sounds like **** when the MDS kicks in... If anyone knows of an aftermarket muffler that you can install where you cant hear the MDS kick in PLEASE let me know and i will buy one...

Old 02-11-2008, 01:48 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

o6mopar....

It will be better with a magnaflow, that is what i have. but it is still noticeable, not as bad as flowmaster, but a magnaflow is not as loud either. If you leave the rear res, it will hardly be noticeable at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hemi mds