3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

is this lifter tick or rod knock? 03 2500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 11:57 PM
CamaroMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this lifter tick or rod knock? 03 2500 4x4

Got a 03 5.7 4x4 today in a trade, 100k miles, clean truck.. was told it had a rod knock.

So started it up, but it sure doesnt sound like a rd knock? ive had a few and they all go "clack clack clack" and increase with rpms, and are continuous...

This has rattling like sounds that come and go and change in sound and possibly location (front to back etc), at idle (cold engine) not a single sound.. def sounds like lifter tick.

Pulled dipstick and zero signs of metal in oil like a spun bearing.. Im a mechanic and have no probs rebuilding but wanna try get some ideas - also is it necessary to pull heads to do lifters? And are the melling replacement ones ok?

Anything else to look for IF its only lifters? Came with a K&N cold air intake - nice.
Check a 1 min vid here:

[MEDIA=youtube]tj0Fx4EW9_k[/MEDIA]

Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Hhhmmm.... that sounds really bizarre, especially when you open up the throttle. Maybe it's my speakers, but, the sound quality just wasn't there, and I can't really tell what it going on......

Old 05-24-2019, 11:17 AM
CamaroMan

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hhhmmm.... that sounds really bizarre, especially when you open up the throttle. Maybe it's my speakers, but, the sound quality just wasn't there, and I can't really tell what it going on......
Yeah, the initial squealing was form the serp belt i think.. just for a sec or 2, then the odd tin can rattling around is the odd ticking noise... never had a dodge and no prev exp with the infamous lifter tick either. Was hoping someone could chime in -

tx

Old 05-24-2019, 09:08 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds more like a component than an internal engine noise to me. Check the tensioner, fan clutch, etc.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:41 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

You might try an automotive stethoscope. Harbor Freight has one for $4. I'd listen to the oil pan and see if you can hear a knock. I also would pull off the serpentine belt so you remove other noises - just don't run it too long like that because you'll have no water circulation and cooling. Assuming that is the original engine, you have the first year of the 5.7 hemi, and there were lots of reports of broken valve springs for that born date. The worn camshaft due to bad lifter design came later.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:59 AM
CamaroMan

thanks guys -

Well i pulled the dip stick again yesterday in the bright sun and found shavings in the oil (super fine).. so motors gonna have to come out. Ill report back - no MMO stories here :/

Quick Reply: is this lifter tick or rod knock? 03 2500 4x4