3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

opening factory headlights to paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:26 AM
SmokeySportRam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opening factory headlights to paint

i dont remeber where i read this (it could have been on here) if you take the headlight out and put it in the oven on the lowest setting for 20 mins or something enough to soften the glue then you can paint the inside however you want.

has anyone done this? did it hurt the clear outer lens?

what do you use to glue them back together, i remember something about using RVT sealant, isnt that just like gasket maker? would that HOLD the lens back on the housing, or do that and some epoxy?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Redram05baby
Default RE: opening factory headlights to paint

2nd Link In My SIG

Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

save yourself the headache and BS and just buy a set
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...on-p-2694.html
redram is an absolute DIY GOD in my opinion but i personally dont have time or patience for any of that anymore

Old 03-21-2008, 12:42 AM
mmstar23
Champion

red made a DIY. and i just put mine in the oven for like 5 minutes on 350. pulled apart pretty easy. tape it, sand it, spray some adhesive promoter, paint it, put it in the freezer, remove tape, reassemble, rtv silicone sealer around it, back in the oven, more rtv, and squeeze it together with those hold down ties. redram shows you. CRMRAM is also very good at doing this.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:42 AM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

wow!! will you do mine for me?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 AM
mmstar23
Champion

ORIGINAL: semigod

save yourself the headache and BS and just buy a set
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...on-p-2694.html
redram is an absolute DIY GOD in my opinion but i personally dont have time or patience for any of that anymore
he has the 02-05 headlight.

1) you can find it much cheaper on ebay, if you want to just buy some
2) its much easier to take apart an 02-05 headlight than the 06-08. thats why people do it themselves for the old style headlights and buy nightrunners for the newer style.

its really not that hard. sure if you rather just pay then by all means go ahead and do so. but its pretty simple and i like to do things myself anyways. but thats just me

Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 AM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

i will eventually get to it... i was thinking of matching the paint color, looks good in redram's how-to.

anything to taking the headlight out?

Old 03-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Mayfairisafunnymfer
Rookie

I used a hair dryer and a screw driver, but I'm sure the oven method works just as good.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 AM
mmstar23
Champion

i dont get your question....taking it off the truck or taking the headlight apart?

to take it off the truck theres 3, 10mm bolts. 2 in the hood, behind the grille and the third at the corner of the headlight. pretty damn simple dude. but i think you know how to do this.

to take the headlight apart, put it in the oven. took me 2 times, first it wasnt hot enough. i then used a screw driver to pry up the little clear clamps, you'll see what im talking about when you do it. pry those up and then start at the corner of the headlight, the top where it meets the grille/hood and use a screw driver to seperate the clear lens from the rest of the housing. just work your way around and take your time and be careful. do it right there first time and save yourself the hassle. there 3 parts to the headlight. the clear lens, the chrome piece you'll be painting and the back which contains the chrome piece for the headlight, not the turn signal, so you dont have to worrk about taping that.

sand the chrome part you want to paint after taping it off. spray some adhesive promoter on it and its ready to paint. most leave theyre amber reflctors on and tape it off, but redram and i removed it and bondo'ed it up to get rid of it because theres holes where the reflector was.

redram pretty much explains everything in his DIY. hes made a couple now and all of them are EXCELENT.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:24 AM
Redram05baby

Thanks Snouckums

Quick Reply: opening factory headlights to paint