3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shortys or Full length spark plug wires for hemi???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:37 PM
kris2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortys or Full length spark plug wires for hemi???

Im having a hard time figuring out if I need shorty or full length spark plug wires because shortys will fire both spark plugs at the same time but the full length fire them one at a time and the second spark is "wasted" on the exhaust stroke, from what ive read. But also, ive read that full length wires provide greater electric current thus providing more power/efficiency so i totally dont know crap.

What do you all use for your hemis'. I have to order some soon

Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shortys or Full length spark plug wires for hemi???

IMHO;

Shorties are for looks, nothing more. Some will say they feel better, etc., but nobody has ever proven it with solid numbers.

Depending where you live, if you live an emission wacky state, the waste plug handles that part of the emissions for you.

Having both plugs fire on the compression stroke does not provide any increas in power, refer to the first sentence.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kris2000

Im having a hard time figuring out if I need shorty or full length spark plug wires because shortys will fire both spark plugs at the same time but the full length fire them one at a time and the second spark is "wasted" on the exhaust stroke, from what ive read. But also, ive read that full length wires provide greater electric current thus providing more power/efficiency so i totally dont know crap.

What do you all use for your hemis'. I have to order some soon
No, longer wires have more resistance which will give you less spark...that's why people put high performance (low ohm's) wires on. With really short wires like shorties high performance wires aren't needed...short wires have low ohm's anyway.

The coils fire both plugs at the same time (or within milliseconds)soshorties should be fine. A plug won't fire during the exhaust stroke because you can get major damage if any unburned fuel ignites as the piston is on the exhaust stroke...it would have the same effect as detonation.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 PM
kenihemi
All Star

Uh, that doesn't make any sense at all.

A spark on the downstroke is good for burning unburnt fuel, not anything like detonation. Detonation is also called pre-ignition. That means, before the top of the combustion stroke.

Our engines are designed to have the waste plug spark.

Second;

Read this about different spark plug wires, then tell us again about the resistance and all and make sure you have your solid numbers to prove what you say. Thanks.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kenihemi

Uh, that doesn't make any sense at all.

A spark on the downstroke is good for burning unburnt fuel, not anything like detonation. Detonation is also called pre-ignition. That means, before the top of the combustion stroke.

Our engines are designed to have the waste plug spark.

Second;

Read this about different spark plug wires, then tell us again about the resistance and all and make sure you have your solid numbers to prove what you say. Thanks.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm
It doesn't make sense to you becauseI said exhaust stroke...which is an upstrokethat pushes the exhaust out the exhaust valve. The OP said the second plug fired on the exhaust stroke and I said it doesn't....not sure what doesn't make sense. And yes if fuel ignitied on the exhaust stroke it would be like detonation...the explosion resulting from the plug firing would try to push the piston down as it's coming up. You could easily snap a connecting rod if the explosion is strong enough..

Old 03-17-2008, 06:32 PM
kenihemi
All Star

Ok know it all.

I said downstroke, my bad, I meant exhaust stroke. But you are still wrong.

You said;

"No, longer wires have more resistance which will give you less spark...that's why people put high performance (low ohm's) wires on. With really short wires like shorties high performance wires aren't needed...short wires have low ohm's anyway.

The coils fire both plugs at the same time (or within milliseconds)soshorties should be fine. A plug won't fire during the exhaust stroke because you can get major damage if any unburned fuel ignites as the piston is on the exhaust stroke...it would have the same effect as detonation"

Guess you didn't read the link about wires or you heard different from your friends, oh well.

Within milliseconds? Electricity travels at the speed of light, do have a way a measure the delay in a one foot wire that we are not aware of?

Since you say the 12-15" longer plug wire makes more resistance, can you help us with how much more, also, at the high voltage that our coils produce, can you determine the amount of drop in the spark due to all that added resistance??

You say that "people" use low resistant plugs..... What people?

One more thing. Can you help us with how much positive or negative timing our engines have during normal ignition running and explain how it works? For instance, does our spark plugs fire on the combustion stroke before, during or after the top dead center piston relation to the cylinder. Thanks. I think that will help a lot of folks here.

Go back and read the link. It will help you, honest.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:51 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

It's all basic knowledge man, no need to get butt hurt from being corrected...especially when you tried correcting me first. I didn't get all pissy about it all i did was correct you...so grow the hell up. If you spent less time being defensive and more time learning you might actually know something.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

BTW I glanced at your article...I didn't see anything in there that disproves what I said about the length of wire contributing to the overall resistance of that wire. Low resistance wires are great for the traditional distributor setup because the wires are so long.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:37 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the longer wires
delay the second sparkplug firing
and supposedly improve torque
in the low rpm range 1200-2200
where extra turbulence from two sparks at different times
is beneficial

at high rpms where the piston speed creates more turbulence
shorty wires make as much max hp

Old 02-06-2010, 05:06 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Interesting

Quick Reply: Shortys or Full length spark plug wires for hemi???