3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check engine light - code P0524 low oil pressure on 07 Ram 1500 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Check engine light - code P0524 low oil pressure on 07 Ram 1500 Hemi

read my thread. may not be the same problem your having, but you can read through it and see if theyre similar, maybe you have the same problem im having right now.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
yellowram
Default RE: Check engine light - code P0524 low oil pressure on 07 Ram 1500 Hemi

i dont think we have the same problem.my oil pressure doesnt drop out completely.i lose a little.it goes from 1/8th on an inch above the center line to about 1/8th below the center line.i have owned the truck sonce new and have always changed the oil every 3000 miles.thank for your help mmstar23.i hope you fixed your problem.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
mmstar23
Champion

ehh, i believe i have a little bit to go to getting my problem fixed, but i think i am getting a little closer. thanks though. and ya, hopefully your problem isnt related at all to mine haha. sounds like you just have some sort of sensor problem or your pcm needs to be flashed, but im not sure on that. good luck to you too.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:42 PM
yellowram

just wondering if i need the pcm flashed.isnt there a dodge service guy on here? he should know wouldnt he?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:46 PM
davidkibler
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Real Cause

Gents,

I've and the same problem (2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 5.7L Hemi, w/ 41,000 miles). I've had it come on about 10 or 12 times. I don't even take it in any more. I've had the computer flashed and the sending unit replaced. They wanted to tear the motor apart to "diagnose" the issue. I refused... chances are they couldn't put it back together properly and I’d be plagued for the life of the truck.

The issue lies in the design of the motor. If you use anything other than the 5w20, you'll get the light. You won't get it all the time, but you WILL get it. You'll always get them while at idle. The reason behind this is because at idle, the oil pump isn't pushing as much oil, and you'll get VERY, VERY, VERY minuscule drop in oil pressure that will go below the threshold set in the computer. As long as the gauge is reading good on the dash, your oil level is correct, and you check the integrity of your oil system, reset the computer. The light will eventually go out by itself, you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes, or you can reset it with a computer... your choice.

It’s a HEMI thing... no one else would understand.

Cheers,
David

The following users liked this post:
LoneStarHemiLover (03-04-2020)
Old 06-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Glindafromoz

Originally Posted by davidkibler
Gents,

I've and the same problem (2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 5.7L Hemi, w/ 41,000 miles). I've had it come on about 10 or 12 times. I don't even take it in any more. I've had the computer flashed and the sending unit replaced. They wanted to tear the motor apart to "diagnose" the issue. I refused... chances are they couldn't put it back together properly and I’d be plagued for the life of the truck.

The issue lies in the design of the motor. If you use anything other than the 5w20, you'll get the light. You won't get it all the time, but you WILL get it. You'll always get them while at idle. The reason behind this is because at idle, the oil pump isn't pushing as much oil, and you'll get VERY, VERY, VERY minuscule drop in oil pressure that will go below the threshold set in the computer. As long as the gauge is reading good on the dash, your oil level is correct, and you check the integrity of your oil system, reset the computer. The light will eventually go out by itself, you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes, or you can reset it with a computer... your choice.

It’s a HEMI thing... no one else would understand.

Cheers,
David

Thank you very much for your post. I just had an oil change thursday and my "Check engin" light came on. I am heading to the shop now to have them look at it. They put the middle oil in there and i am pretty sure it should have the thicker stuff cause it is a Hemi. You and i have the same truck and i have not had an issue with my truck till they did this oil change. They told me to bring it in but reading your post will help cause if they have the wrong kind of oil then it makes sence it is not going to go throught the moter correctly. I dont know the way to correct it. buttrust me. THEY will Thanks again

Old 01-31-2010, 07:37 PM
toddf71
Post Ram 1500 SXT, 2008, CEL on

just bought a 2008 Ram 1500 SXT with 60K miles. the change engine oil message was active when i bought it 4 days ago. i drove it @ 200 miles over two days and then snow and ice storm hit. haven't driven in two days. go out tonight to start and warm up to make sure no problems before work in the am. the CEL is on. i am not a truck mechanic and have nothing to read codes like i hear others talking about. could this be because i need to change the oil? or is it likely something else? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. should i use regular oil or is the synthetic better?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:34 PM
magnum35xr
Default What was the results?

Originally Posted by yellowram
hey guys.i have one for you too! i have an 07 with about 12300 miles on it.my chech engine just came on again,i had it at the dealer last week and they told me that it was my oil pressure switch.they replaced it and all was good.but then my light came on again.i have been watching my oil pressure guage on the dash and have noticed that at stop lights it dropped to just below the center line on the guage.is this the same problem everyone else is having? i have been changing the oil every 3000 miles.thanks for any help!
Yellowram, I am having the exact same issue with my 2007 quad cab Hemi 4x4. When idling, my oil pressure gauge does the same thing as yours was doing, the check engine light came on and autozone gave me the code reading P0524. The gauge drops just below half mark by about 1/8th inch, when driving its just above and in the normal range I am used to seeing it.
What did you end up having to do or get done by a dealer to get it fixed?

I found the oil pressure sensor on the block and could easily replace it, however I didn't want to waste 50$ if it might be something else.

Thanks for any help you can suggest.

-Magnum35XR

Last edited by magnum35xr; 03-24-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I know on the older 3rd Gens those that get low oil pressure lights are almost always oil pressure sending units.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 PM
olemech
Default p0524

took my 2008 4x4 1500, 5.7 hemi for code P0524 there is a TSB on this truck, thay had to flash my computer to get light to stay out. thay also said sometime you have to replace sending unit, thay have also had to replace wiring harnes to sending unit, gets pinched by untake. TSB 18.003.08 this is for 2007-08 with build date of 08-07 and before.

Quick Reply: Check engine light - code P0524 low oil pressure on 07 Ram 1500 Hemi