3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What dp you need for a Torsion lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What dp you need for a Torsion lift

I have been hearing different things about torsion bar lifts. Do you need anything or can you just crank the torsion bar and exactly how do you do that. Because if it is free then I might have to do that this weekend.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 PM
bananafarmer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its is free and it is easy

all you do is crank each one up how ever many turns. If you have access to an air rachet it is a lot easier but i can be done wiht a hand rachet. the keys are right under the front floor boards. Just remember to jack your truck up in the air to get hte weight of the suspension so that you dont damage anything. it only takes 15 or 20 minutes max and you will need to get a front end allignment for sure

Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bananafarmer
its is free and it is easy

all you do is crank each one up how ever many turns. If you have access to an air rachet it is a lot easier but i can be done wiht a hand rachet. the keys are right under the front floor boards. Just remember to jack your truck up in the air to get hte weight of the suspension so that you dont damage anything. it only takes 15 or 20 minutes max and you will need to get a front end allignment for sure
alignment def needed with any height changes other than the leveling kits

Old 12-05-2008, 11:07 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt use an air ratchet. I would just use a johnson bar and make sure you do each side the same amount. measure before and after. and jack the truck up so its easier to turn the bolts. and definatly get an alignment when done

Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 AM
red06RAM
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnymagnum
I wouldnt use an air ratchet. I would just use a johnson bar and make sure you do each side the same amount. measure before and after. and jack the truck up so its easier to turn the bolts. and definatly get an alignment when done
Johnson Bar? Do you mean something for extra persuasion on the bolts?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like a cheater bar and that is a bummer because i just had the front end aligned because apparently i had a broken outside tie rod when i took it in to the dealer to have the stering checked (good move had 2 leaky hoses and very close to having to get a new stering pump) and keys? are they something you put on top and were is the torsion bar at

Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Just crank those torsion bars and go back to the dealership and tell them somethings not right with the alignment....lol They will do it for free.....hehehehe

Keys are what slides over the bar to turn them. They are like giant box wrenches. Yes like a cheater or breaker bar extension.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:20 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i cranked mine up about 3" with 8 turns on each ajustment bolt, remember to tighten it not loosen it like i did at first. duh! when i finished i parked on a level concrete pad and measured from the concrete to the bottom of the middle of the fender, all were dead on same height, havent measured it after the alignment but i dont think that would change anything, also you shouldnt even have to take the skidplate off mine had access holes in it for the ajustment bolts. all i used was a ratchet with a deepwell socket and a cheater bar on the ratchet.
some people say the ride will be stiffer when you do this but i havent noticed a difference, but my headlights are higher up now and shine down the road alot better than they did before.
goodluck.

Quick Reply: What dp you need for a Torsion lift