3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Interlock- BTSI

Old 04-17-2008, 01:10 PM
wearfx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Interlock- BTSI

Okay, here's the problem:
Just bought an '02, 1500 QC Longbed. So far I love it. A bit biggerthan my every day drive- a Scion XB, but way more room to bring home all of the home improvement items for our new fixer upper home.
Anyway, took my truck in to the dealer tohave a few things checked out. They informed me there was a recall for something to do with the gearshifting. OK, since I need a diagnostic on the A/C they did therecall at the same time. All they could find wrong,(which by the way I didn't even know there was a problem with it), was the Brake Transmission Shift Interlock System. Apparently it was just hanging down. Told me they could fix it for $200 but had to order the part and needed 2 - 3 days. I would need to leave my truck with them since they already had everything apart for the recall issue. If I had to bring it back later for the fix it would jump up to $400. I needed my truck and decided I would take it back later.
I decided to look and see how involved this fix was. Easy!! The solenoid in mine is still fine. When I press on the brake the pin moves like it should. The housing, however, is missing 2 of the 4 brackets to hold it on. I called the dealer and they can't seem to identify the part for me to just order the part. It plugs right in so I would assume I can just replace that whole part. I even checked with a dealer in the next town over. They couldn't help me either. They did offer to sell me a gearshift cable assembly but couldn't quite be sure that it would come with the part I needed. I can't imagine it would.
Am I asking for the wrong part? Does anyone happen to know a part number for this? Is this part even replacable by itself? The truck works fine the way it is and I now know I need to be careful until this is fixed, but for safety I would like to fix it asap.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 PM
schnydz
Default RE: Transmission Interlock- BTSI

I didn't like the fact that in my truck if I put pressure on the shifter to pull it out of 'park' before applying the brake, that solenoid wasn't strong enough to unlock the shift lever and I had to release the lever and then move it to drive. I found this very annoying, so I just removed that little solenoid that I think you are talking about. Now I don't have to apply the brake to take it out of 'park'. Now I know that this is a safety device, but I don't have kids and no one, and I really mean no one, ever drives my truck. So I'm not worried about it.

Now I would imagine that solenoid would come already mounted to the shift cable being that it is a safety device and I'm sure Chrysler's lawyers don't want you messing with it. That shop probably had that whole cable out and had to reinstall it when you declined the service. Now my real question is that you stated that it was a recall. Recall's are free. For the life of the vehicle. That shouldn't have cost you a cent. If they are trying to charge you for a recall, I would notify some important people at Chrysler about that.

Bert

Old 04-19-2008, 01:04 AM
bigskycowboy

Agreed, but if the parts you are looking for are not covered by that recall, you still need to do something with it. I had an issue with an old ford, not so much of the part not known by name, but that part not being made anymore (it was a specific bracet). I ended up calling the scrap yards, found a model of the same year and took my tools down and removed it (most scrap yards should let you do this). Hope this helps

Old 04-19-2008, 02:50 AM
wearfx

Thanks for your responses. You are right, it comes as part of the shift cable. I was able to order a whole new shift cable assembly for $64. Popped that little solenoid off, snapped it onto my cable bracket and plugged it in. Less than 2 minutes. Works perfect. I ended up going to a dealer about 20 minutes away. They were extremely helpful as well as interested in what I was trying to do. They had never had anyone ask for that part before. They didn't even want me to prepay for the part since they weren't going to make me pay for ituntil I was sure Iwanted it.
The recall wasn't actually for that specific part so it wasn't covered. And to give a little credit to my local dealer, they would have been replacing the whole shift assembly. That's why it would have cost so much. But no sense replacing a perfectly good part if you don't have to. And I'm sure it comes as one unit to make sure it is used properly. Anyway, the truck is good as new and I saved about $400!!
Thanks again for the responses,
Michelle

Old 02-20-2020, 02:49 PM
bannatmaarlyy8944

Game version / : RU
Supported OS / : Windows 7 | 8 | 8.1 | 10

. 4 , .
, (c) (, , ), ! , .

:
+ ,
+