3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power steering leak, help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 02:58 PM
RamTate
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power steering leak, help!

Thanks alot guys! That helps, I don't know if I want to try the Lucas product or if I would rather replace it. Another question just in case; if I do decide to replace it, do I replace the entire rack or is there a seal/gasket that is replaceable? I haven't had it in for service lately so it wouldn't have been jacked up using that crossmember but the temperature has gotten very cold lately here in Colorado.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 01-19-2005, 03:08 PM
link

On my 02 I found a return hose leaking from the rad where it returns to the rack. I replaced the factory clamp wtih a $1.00 hose clamp for walmart and the problem has not retruned. Ya might want to take a look at the top hose(there are two on the front) coming into the rack, mine was leaking on the bottom of the top hose. You can not see it unless you crawl under it.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:43 PM
RamTate
Rookie

Cool, I'll check that out this weekend. Thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 11:24 AM
campertime

Must be rack and pinion fail month. Either that or you guys jinxed me

Mine started leaking just a few days ago. I'm taking it to the dealer monday for an oil change so I'll have them check it out. It appears that it is one of the hoses leaking where it connects to the rack. I may try the clamp thing until I can get it in. I am going snowmobiling in MI's upper peninsula next week. I am a little worried about not getting it fixed in time for the 600 mile round trip. So hopefully I can nurse it along by keeping the fluid topped off.

By the way, I have stopped at pep boys and auto zone, neither one carries the correct fluid. (ATF+4)

Old 01-23-2005, 08:46 PM
link

If its the top line going to the rack. Just make sure the line is up against the rack and put a new clamp on it. I did that on my 02 a couple of days ago and no more leak. The factroy clamp is just coming loose. If you do this you should have not trouble making your trip I have put about 300 miles on mine since I changed my clamp and have had no problems. good luck

Old 01-24-2005, 09:39 AM
campertime

ORIGINAL: link

If its the top line going to the rack. Just make sure the line is up against the rack and put a new clamp on it. I did that on my 02 a couple of days ago and no more leak. The factroy clamp is just coming loose. If you do this you should have not trouble making your trip I have put about 300 miles on mine since I changed my clamp and have had no problems. good luck

Hey Link - The clamp was the problem. Took my truck in for a free oil change and asked them to look at it. They said it was the clamp and that it's a common problem. Especially when cold weather strikes. They replaced the clamp and cleaned everything up. I will keep my eye on it just in case. Thanks!

Old 02-19-2005, 02:13 PM
doogiegh

Same problem here, 2002 Qc.
I just had my truck at the dealer as well for an electronics problem AND leaking power steering fluid.
The put a $1.75 clamp on the power steering hose and it's fixed. We'll see. <G>

ORIGINAL: RamTate

Cool, I'll check that out this weekend. Thanks

Old 03-16-2005, 03:06 AM
hoobasta4
Rookie

Hey guys.. i have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 Ext. Cab. I bought the truck about a month ago and only put on 500 miles, and they inspected the truck and before the rack was fine. I got the recall done on my ball joints today and they said my rack is leaking and that my left tie rod is loose! No warranty on the truck anymore. I'm pissed. They want to replace the entire rack and pinion assembly (comes with both tie rods, etc). The part will cost $700 and labor of about $120 or so.. I'm taking it into a repair shop tomorrow (other than the dodge dealership) to check it out, but do you guys really think it is already busted? A 2000 Dakota with 42,410 miles on it..

Hooby

Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 PM
jeffjs
Professional

Wow! I just started seeing a little puddle of red liquid under my truck too! It just started getting cold here in Souther NJ and I've recently had an oil change at a Jiffy Lube type place. I was searching for info on fluids when I found this tread.

My truck on has 11k miles on it. I got under it to look, but can't really see where the leak is coming from. Any specific ideas where to look? Steering linkage? There's nothing on the trans bell housing, nothing on or around the oil pan... I was thinking the red fluid was brake or power steering...

Old 01-29-2007, 06:16 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah i had the same problem on my 02 ram, and had the same problem on my 04 ram i have now...personally, the clamps they use for the pwrstg lines suck because they dont come that tight from the factory, and like Link said replace it with a hose clamp from wal-mart and you'll be set

jeffjs, look at the 2 lines going right to the steering rack...thats where both of mine had been leaking...hope that helps

Quick Reply: Power steering leak, help!