3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP!!! OIL PRESSURE!! FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! OIL PRESSURE!! FIXED

stupid question but im not sure what exactly the guage is for...its above the temp, in the far right top corner....i beileive its oil PRESSURE? well anyways.....it stays in the middle where its suppose to be...then all of a sudden it drops to L. and check guages light comes on. about 10 seconds later it goes back to the middle and a few seconds later it drops back down. WTF is the matter with this thing?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 AM
RamSportBlue
Default RE: guage problem

It should be the oil pressure indicator. My will move a little from center when idling but never "Check Gauges" come up. Do an oil change recently? Low on oil?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:04 AM
mmstar23
Champion

oil change was done awhile ago. oil level is fine. i found that the oil pressure indicator sensor was located behind my steering rack, which was just replaced. the mechanic must have bumped it. so i punched my cluster a little bit because i did a search and they said the guage itself had a common problem. but that did nothing for me. i messed with the sensor behind the power steering and the guage reads fine now.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:06 AM
mmstar23
Champion

alright guys i need your help badly!!! as heard earlier, my oil pressure guage was on L and my check gage light was on. unfortunatly i HAD to make a 40 mile trip to the air port in my truck with this problem. seemed alright since the engine never overheated or anything. so i thought it was just a sensor or something but when i got to the airport, my truck was ticking bad. like oil was low, i checked the oil and everything was fine. i let it sit and the ticking went away. start it back up no ticking drive for a little bit and when i get in town it starts to tick again (keep in mind my gage is still on L) what do i do guys? i need help badly!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh-do a diagnostic check on your guage cluster first, make sure its not computer related. My guess is its your sending unit, but start at the beginning. If both of those check out ok, then I'd check the oil pressure with an analogue guage at the sending unit. Pretty hard to screw up a conventional oil pump/relief valve in a stock RPM engine. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
mmstar23
Champion

for the guage cluster test, just hold in the pin for my odometer when i turn the key on right? how would i check the sending unit exactly?

Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
mmstar23
Champion

this trucks weird. its had a very strong history of having a problem for a couple days, then fixing itself. i start it up, guage satys right where it should be. drove around the block, guage stayed fine. but i did give it some gas and got to 3500 rpm and it dropped a good bit, but not to 0. just dropped to about 1/4 way for a second then right back to the half way mark. im gonna let it sit again and let it fix itself haha. ill take it for a real drive later on and see what happens

Old 07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
mmstar23
Champion

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/R...l_sludge.shtml

that site is scaring the **** out of me right now!!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:18 AM
sschevy400
Professional

Ok first off. Don't drive the truck....

If you are losing all oil pressure, i would say it could be the gauge. But you are saying when you give it gas, the pressure goes down??? It should rise up...not down. Doesnt sound good at all.

I'm not sure if the pressure sensor is before the oil filter or after....but change your oil filer. It may be falling appart or clogging. Is it a FRAM???

Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 AM
mmstar23
Champion

its a k&N with royal purple 10w-30

Quick Reply: HELP!!! OIL PRESSURE!! FIXED