3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sludge still a problem on new 4.7L?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:04 PM
popps68
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and i went to the local dragstrip last night and there was several ram hemis there and they ran between 70-72.5 mile per hour in the 1/8 mile track, what was bad was a stock 08 chevy with their v-8 ran it at 75 miles per hour. the trucks were not qc or even ext.cabs .Mybe the rams had a taller gear??

Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2002 Quad Cab 4.7L and have NEVER EVER had any sludge... I'm a firm believer that bad maintenance causes sludge! Also, I have used Mobil1 Full Synthetic since day one... so I feel thats one reason for the LACK of sludge and may have helped. I put 5,000 miles between Oil changes. With over 110,000 HARD "Wide Open Throttle" miles I have not had any issues with my 4.7L... and it will WHOOP a HEMI any day! 9.49's in a 5200lb 4.7L Quad Cab is not bad.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 08-23-2008, 10:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR RAM
and it will WHOOP a HEMI any day! 9.49's in a 5200lb 4.7L Quad Cab is not bad.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Hell you say! Very few power mods here, compared to you anyway. Mainly off-roading mods (although I do have CAI, LT Headers, SC, a few others plus a KRC Cam & SCT tune in the near future) and I weigh in at almost 7000 lbs. with the lift, winch, etc. plus a full toolbox (mostly welding & recovery stuff) and my fat a$$ in the truck. And my Hemi will still whip your truck any day of the week!!!

Oh, but I get to pick the track though - and trust me, ain't gonna be anywhere close to pavement... Mud, water, stumps on it probably, but no asphalt... and winching across the finish line counts!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:23 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Hell you say! Very few power mods here, compared to you anyway. Mainly off-roading mods (although I do have CAI, LT Headers, SC, a few others plus a KRC Cam & SCT tune in the near future) and I weigh in at almost 7000 lbs. with the lift, winch, etc. plus a full toolbox (mostly welding & recovery stuff) and my fat a$$ in the truck. And my Hemi will still whip your truck any day of the week!!!

Oh, but I get to pick the track though - and trust me, ain't gonna be anywhere close to pavement... Mud, water, stumps on it probably, but no asphalt... and winching across the finish line counts!!!
LOL... Yeah, you will get me on the dirt! I will not even pretend to be fast their... not to mention my suspension is set up for street/strip performance.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM
deadof_knight
Default OK 4.7 here with 140 k on it

OK as of recently Ive notice some noise like a rocker ticking I tried all the clean outs .... not gonna work I finally dove off and pulled a vlave cover and a rocker arm off and the lash adjuster collapsed and stuck down ..... lo and behold I pulled the front cover to check for the demon sludge thing.....I had never changed my pcv valve and it still worked fine but did have some build up around it..... nothing like i seen in the pics while visiting here.... but I had noticed a slight hydraulic lifter noise or something close .... well it also had a chain tensioner going out or not working well due to some SLUDGE built up in the inlet not allowing anymore oil into the tensioner body .....but hey I have treated her fairly hard mashing the throttle when Im fumed at the wifey more than once and lets see my boy has wrecked it twice and my wife once ....Damn thing keeps on going.

but the timming chain set is killing me ..... plus 16 lash adjusters .... I shouldnt complain but Im a tight a$$

Old 10-19-2008, 03:03 PM
woodchip

have a 2003 4.7 qc 4x4 lb with a manual .tow the limit,bag the snot out of it.it's never let me down and i wouldn't trade it for anything

Old 10-19-2008, 04:06 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my 05 4.7 goes like a bat out of hell. just recently put a zex wet nitrous 125 shot on it. 63000 miles and have no sludge build up. change oil 4500 miles and use the cheap stuff from jiffy lube.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 PM
jkillman
Professional

I have a 4.7 08 quad. Im not gonna lie I wish it was quicker, even with my mods, but I love it. I mean it is a truck, it's not meant to make 10 second 1/4 miles

Quick Reply: Sludge still a problem on new 4.7L?