3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 1500 Aftermarket Fuel Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:31 PM
DarthSudo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 1500 Aftermarket Fuel Tank?

One of the vent connectors (whatever they're called) broke on my 2006 (1500 4x4 short bed Hemi 5.7). I'm going to try to glue/epoxy the thing back together, since my only option seems to be replacing the entire tank. My Internet searches have turned up blank for an aftermarket replacement... are any of you aware of an any aftermarket options to replace this tank?

See pics for the broken (apparently non-serviceable) part on the tank. The first pic is from a few years ago when I replaced the fuel pump. The second is of the broken piece now.

Pic from a few years ago

Broken part on top of fuel tank

Old 08-09-2022, 09:53 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Rock auto lists a 35 gallon but not a 26 gallon, not sure if you could stuff that in a short bed frame or not

Junk yards might be your only option, I'm not familiar with the piece you're dealing with, what makes it not serviceable I don't assume it was molded into the tank so could it be replaced with one removed from another thank? saving the hassle of a tank swap

Old 08-10-2022, 11:18 AM
10break
Amateur

This is by no means a recommended repair but...I had a similar problem on my wife's Jeep Wrangler and I epoxy'd in a hollow metal sleeve between the 2 parts and it's held. But, that part on your tank looks cracked from top to bottom so I would try finding a junk yard replacement first.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:13 PM
DarthSudo

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Rock auto lists a 35 gallon but not a 26 gallon, not sure if you could stuff that in a short bed frame or not

Junk yards might be your only option, I'm not familiar with the piece you're dealing with, what makes it not serviceable I don't assume it was molded into the tank so could it be replaced with one removed from another thank? saving the hassle of a tank swap
I see the 35 gallon tank - looks like it's a Mopar tank. I'll have to research if it fits. If I have to spend the money, I might as well get another 9 gallons. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 10break
This is by no means a recommended repair but...I had a similar problem on my wife's Jeep Wrangler and I epoxy'd in a hollow metal sleeve between the 2 parts and it's held. But, that part on your tank looks cracked from top to bottom so I would try finding a junk yard replacement first.
I saw a few other threads with the same "fix" which I was going to try first. I have to remove that cover to see how bad the damage is (and I need to remove the truck bed to get access). I'm not sure how removable/servicable the part is - nobody sells it new (Mopar or aftermarket) that I can find, so yeah, junk yards seem to be my only option if I don't want to spend the $1k on a new tank (which I don't)

Old 08-10-2022, 05:41 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Junkyard part...all day.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:05 PM
DarthSudo

Update for anyone following (or if you find this thread later and have the same issue). I found a 3/8" Nylon Hose Barb at Ace Hardware that fit perfectly inside the busted piece and JB Welded it in. It's been a couple days and the codes haven't returned... fingers crossed that it stays that way and I can get this stupid thing smogged.

The following users liked this post:
10break (08-16-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 05:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

That's creative. Looks like it should work rather well.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:00 PM
DarthSudo

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's creative. Looks like it should work rather well.
Thanks! I call it "red neck engineering"

Quick Reply: 2006 1500 Aftermarket Fuel Tank?