3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disable DRL...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:22 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable DRL...

So after quite a bit of searching... I have still yet to find out how to disable the DRL's on an '06 RAM 1500 (CDN version).

YES, I know there are safety issues... YES, I know the dealers can do it in the US... and I do not need to hear people preach about why it's a bad thing to do. I am only looking to do this for some HID lights I am getting that require the DRL's disabled. I will be making the fogs into DRL's eventually.

Anyone successfully disable them yet on a CDN truck?

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 AM
sos
All Star

As far as l know, the only way to do it is with a star scan tool. In other words, the dealer. They are directly controlled by the computer, and there are no relays in the 06-08 so there's nothing you can really do to bypass them unless you start cutting wires, which of course would cause other problems. You're going to have to find a dealer willing to do it (unlikely unless he's a friend) or drive down to the states and have a dealer do it here.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:21 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional

Hmmm that sucks. 4hr drive or so to Montana from here... haha
Thanks for the info!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:18 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah and the darn Star scan tools are about $3000 on Ebay

Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, there is one other possible option too. Put an ohm meter across the terminals for the bulbs with the wires disconnected and find out the resistance, then install the same ohm resistor between the wires, viola' fake out the computer into thinking they are still there. Insulate them well to ensure they don't get eaten by salt or water (pack them in silicone rubber).

Last edited by Gone Fishin; 10-14-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 PM
sos
All Star

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
Well, there is one other possible option too. Put an ohm meter across the terminals for the bulbs with the wires disconnected and find out the resistance, then install the same ohm resistor between the wires, viola' fake out the computer into thinking they are still there. Insulate them well to ensure they don't get eaten by salt or water (pack them in silicone rubber).
But aren't the DRLs just the regular headlight bulb at a lower intensity? If you cut the wires and put a resistor across it, your headlights won't work when you turn them on.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:49 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sos
But aren't the DRLs just the regular headlight bulb at a lower intensity? If you cut the wires and put a resistor across it, your headlights won't work when you turn them on.
Yup..

Old 10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It uses the bright part of the bulb on my 07 Grand Caravan. Not sure about Rams.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 PM
greg14_00
Professional

When I installed my HID kit(just low beam kit) my DRL's just stopped working and my lamp out light came on. DRL's never worked when this kit was installed which I kind of liked but When I installed the hi/low HID kit everything went back to normal and the DRL's worked again. Not sure why the lights your looking at says to disable them.

Quick Reply: Disable DRL...