3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 4.7 Dies While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 PM
HEMI LESS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 02 4.7 Dies While Driving

a couple of weeks ago we were driving it, and the motor started stumbling, backfiring, and would eventually die. i checked the codes and it came up with a P0320, so i replaced the crank sensor. it ran perfect for a day, and started dieing again, no more backfiring, just keeps dieing. it will do it at any speed, but mostly when i let it sit and idle, and it only seems to do it once it gets up to normal operating temps. it will be running perfect and it's just like you turn off the key, and the tach will jump all over the place. it had bosch platinum+2 in it, and they were really wore out and were extremely clean l think it's running on the lean side, definately not rich. so i replaced them with autolite platinum's. it hasn't acted up for 2 days now, but i have only driven it about 2 miles a day to take my kids to school. it does not give any more codes now, just dies out. i did have a stage 2 jet chip in it, but i took it out thinking maybe that was causing it, but it still does it. i have also taken off the neg battery cable to re-set the computer. it is a 2002 ram with a 4.7. do you think it could be the cam position sensor? it usually starts right up and you can drive away. i've worked on cars all my life (fairly new to the FUEL INJECTION SYSTEMS), but have never had a problem like this. it has an afe cai, and an aftermarket muffler on it(single in single out) i have also resert the computer twice, thinking that might help, but nothing different. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Could be the cam position sensor or a bad/corroded connection at the PCM on the firewall.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:52 PM
HEMI LESS

anybody else have any idea's?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I'd check the pre-cat o2's...they're bypassed while in open loop which would go along with some of your symptoms. Are they original? You can also just clean them and see if that helps. You'd think an o2 code would've been thrown but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:33 PM
HEMI LESS

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I'd check the pre-cat o2's...they're bypassed while in open loop which would go along with some of your symptoms. Are they original? You can also just clean them and see if that helps. You'd think an o2 code would've been thrown but sometimes it just doesn't happen.
thanks for the suggestion. i don't know if they're original or not, i bought the truck used. what would i use to clean the o2's? this sounds like a feasible problem as the exhaust does have a different odor.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:45 PM
HEMI LESS

i let it run idleing in my driveway, and after about a half hour it died, i started it back up, and it backfired and now a p1391 code comes up. anybody have any ideas what this code is, and what could be causing it.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P1391* Interm Loss of CMP or CKP

Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Camshaft Position Sensor are out of sync, it could be the sensors are going bad or indicate an engine problem.

Couple things though, I noticed you 1, have platinum plugs, and 2 have the Jet Stage 2. I'd check to see if the advance timings from the jet chip are causing problems, remove it, and see if the problem persists. If that fixes it, send the chip back to Jet for a new one, if you're the original owner you have a lifetime warranty on it. The platinum plugs, while I doubt are causing the problem, aren't helping. The 4.7L and the Hemi don't much like hotter plugs, and most people on DF find the Copper Champion plugs run the best on these engines.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM
HEMI LESS

i pulled the jet chip after i replaced the crank sensor, because it was still acting up, and it still does it. it had bosch platinum+2 in it when i bought it, and has run perfect up until recently. i only changed them because i figured it was time, and people on here said they don't like bosch plugs and i saw people recommended the autolite platinum's (on another dodge forum)so that's why i put them in. i'm going to replace the cam sensor tomorrow, and see if that fixes it. thanks for the info. i think i'll change the plugs to the champions also.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM
HEMI LESS
Smile

i replaced the cam sensor on monday, and it has not had a problem with dieing since....so i think that's what it was. thanks for all the help.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM
CPIII

Where is the cam position sensor located? I am having the exact same problem as you describe and have replaced the crank sensor but I can't find the cam sensor.

Thanks in advance

CPIII

Quick Reply: 02 4.7 Dies While Driving