3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got an engine noise outta my 2008 hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Got an engine noise outta my 2008 hemi?

I noticed a slight ticking noise coming from under the hood of my 2008 Ram 5.7L. It's very light sounding almost like the lifter or early stages of valve wear. I noticed this at 400miles and went to the dealership. I described it to the service manager who hears stuff all day long and has an '07 hemi himself. He said it's probably the wrist pins since they are floating pins. I changed my oil at 830miles to synthetic...still same noise. This pisses me off because I got rid of My 2000 silverado that had the 4.8l with the notorious ticking/knocking noise supposedly from piston slap. yeah right, it was cam noise. Sounding like a bunch of marbles being shaken in a coffee can upon cold start ups no lie and then quieted right down but still there.

Anyone have anything similar to this? Any solutions? It's not super loud, just suddle and very consistent through cold and warm temps. I currentyl have 1900 miles. Thanks Boys

Last edited by dirtydog; 10-30-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: installed more disturbing news...lol
Old 10-30-2008, 03:44 PM
United1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "hemi tick" is very common. If you want more info, do a search, you will find many posts about it. Unless you have something else going on, don't worry about it, it's normal for the hemi.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:58 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I noticed a slight ticking noise coming from under the hood of my 2008 Ram 5.7L. It's very light sounding almost like the lifter or early stages of valve wear. I noticed this at 400miles and went to the dealership. I described it to the service manager who hears stuff all day long and has an '07 hemi himself. He said it's probably the wrist pins since they are floating pins. I changed my oil at 830miles to synthetic...still same noise. This pisses me off because I got rid of My 2000 silverado that had the 4.8l with the notorious ticking/knocking noise supposedly from piston slap. yeah right, it was cam noise. Sounding like a bunch of marbles being shaken in a coffee can upon cold start ups no lie and then quieted right down but still there.

Anyone have anything similar to this? Any solutions? It's not super loud, just suddle and very consistent through cold and warm temps. I currentyl have 1900 miles. Thanks Boys
It was piston slap in your old silverado...the LSX and LS based engines are known for it. It goes away or gets better when warm because the pistons expand when hot and take up any extra slack in the cylinder. I've owned both a 5.3 and LS1...great engines BTW.

That hemi rattle is wide spread and as far as I know (and i've tried) the dealers won't fix it. Mine has it pretty bad especially in MDS...it's not even 1/4 as bad when hitting all 8. Just the other day I saw a 06+ QC ram about to pass me on the highway...so I let off the throttle so mine would stop rattling. I rolled my window down and hit mute...sure as **** it rattled right on by. It made me feel better and worse at the same time..

Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 PM
whiteonrice
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 07 Hemi Ram ticks and my 02 Vette rattles a little on startup. That's life I don't lose any sleep over either one of them.

Rick

Old 10-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Got_Mitch
Professional

ive had the rattle pretty much from the get go, especially as its getting colder up in canada. once she warms up it goes away. im not to converned about it yet....

Old 11-01-2008, 01:04 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Some of the tick is the injectors firing.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
mang

I have 2008 ram with the Hemi and I noticed a ticking sound if you will. It almost seemed to me like lifter noise . I was told it's the norm with these motors it dose seem to go away with some driving..

Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Parked beside a new 6.7 CTD, Fellow thought my hemi was a CTD, honestly, listing to them side by side my hemi was louder, I have given up expecting trucks to be perfect, after all I drive a dodge...

Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Parked beside a new 6.7 CTD, Fellow thought my hemi was a CTD, honestly, listing to them side by side my hemi was louder, I have given up expecting trucks to be perfect, after all I drive a dodge...
syn oil helps keep the noise down, esp in the cold..

Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mang
I have 2008 ram with the Hemi and I noticed a ticking sound if you will. It almost seemed to me like lifter noise . I was told it's the norm with these motors it dose seem to go away with some driving..
I'm sure it's you just getting used to it.
As far as my Silverado, I don't believe for one minute it was piston slap. The pistons don't heat up within a few seconds. The noise was lack of lubrication to the top end of the motor and as soon as the oil pressure built up, the noise quieted right down. It would quiet right down after the initial marble in a can start up and then after it was fully warmed would be pronounced.

My hemi tick is consistent as it's the valves as everyone has stated. If it gets loud like my silverado, I will make them fix the problem or I'll make the problem so apparent, they won't have a choice...hmmmm it's relatively easy to burn up valves with too much nitrous...hmmmm....lol

Quick Reply: Got an engine noise outta my 2008 hemi?