3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater Fan Motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 PM
TNDODGE2002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Fan Motor

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l > The blower for the heater in the cab works mostly when it wants to. It just started doing this last week. It wrked fine all during the summer and last winter. Most of the time you can hit a bump in the road and it will come back on. Was wandering if this could be the swtich or the fan blower motor itself. I did not know if there was a relay to check or etc. I believe it to be the fan blower mototr because when I turn on the blower the fan outside at the radiator comes on also. I think it is suppose to come as well when you turn on the heat and/or air. Any help or advice would be helpful.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:28 PM
TNDODGE2002

I have been doing some research. Does anybody know where the relay for the blower motor is located? I figured dit is the cheapest to replace, and to start there. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

probably the resistor pack in the ductwork under the dash.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:28 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lxman1
probably the resistor pack in the ductwork under the dash.

Resister pack?

Anyone else have this issue? The blower works most of the time, but every now and then will quit working all together. I have now noticed that if I hit a decent size bump it will start working again.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The only thing you can do at this point is two things, both require your volt meter. Set the fan speed on the highest and test for voltage at the resistor block. At the highest speed you will have full 12v+ at one of the terminals, at each lower speed the voltage will be reduced. If you find voltage in different increments on the resistor block then pull the fan blower and jump full voltage to it from the battery and test it accordingly.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:00 PM
That1guy
Veteran

The blower motor comes right out. Look up under the glove box. Its round. Pull it out and test it. If you look under the column it is a large green wire that feeds the power. It was fairly larger than the rest.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

The comments are much appreciated fellas. But I must add... suggesting to "test the fan" with a volt meter to a fella who doesn't even have a volt meter, let alone know what one is, surely did not do me any good. Pardon my ignorance with electronics. But I do have access to one.

Is there a certain number the volts are supposed to be at each speed for the fan? Would you guys be "guessing" that it is more than likely a bad fan or regulator, or just some type of loose connection? I take it this is not a common issue such as a blown plenum gasket on a 2nd gen magnum?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 AM
That1guy
Veteran

You are trying to check for proper voltage and find breaks in power. You set the meter to dc power and you check voltage with fan on high. This bypasses the resistor pack. That should give you around 12 voltage. As you turn the speed down the voltage should drop a little each time.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:25 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you do not have a meter or know how to use one then find a friend or family member that does who can assist/educate you.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:08 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by weedahoe
If you do not have a meter or know how to use one then find a friend or family member that does who can assist/educate you.

Yeah, my old man has one, which I have messed around with, but I really don't know much about how they work (or even simple wiring for that matter). I have a friend who owns a stereo shop who could easily do this for me, maybe I will give him a shout. Thanks for your help fellas.

Quick Reply: Heater Fan Motor