3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

so called power wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:17 PM
ram2005hemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't know why I did not have good results. I think it was a combination of things. Right before I put the power wire on, I changed from 17 inch wheels to 20's and the tire diameter is now 3 inches taller than stock. The truck should probably be geared steeper to compensate. I think the combination of taller tires and the power wire slightly changed when the truck shifted gears. One thing took away a little torque and the other added. W/o the power wire, it shifts where I want it to.
From what I hear from others, I am sure it a good product.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ram2005hemi
I really don't know why I did not have good results. I think it was a combination of things. Right before I put the power wire on, I changed from 17 inch wheels to 20's and the tire diameter is now 3 inches taller than stock. The truck should probably be geared steeper to compensate. I think the combination of taller tires and the power wire slightly changed when the truck shifted gears. One thing took away a little torque and the other added. W/o the power wire, it shifts where I want it to.
From what I hear from others, I am sure it a good product.
What gears are you running with the 20's?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:22 PM
ram2005hemi

I can't remember the gears I have. I had a print out from the dealer that listed everything from the VIN, but I can't find it.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HankL
There is no better example
of Air_Ram selling a near worthless product
at extreme profit levels
than the so called 'Power Wire'
Guys this falls back onto the CNN comment... These kind of people are sneaky and try to use statements made by others to back up their agenda. Instead of taking the entire statement they take only the parts that fit their agenda as in this case.

There is no need to be taken for a sucker
when knowledge is nearly free for the taking
with just a little effort on your part.
Hank, your the one trying to sucker people into thinking like you... but its nice to know... nobody seems to falls for it.
I would like to thank those who stood up for us when I was unable to reply back.

Air_Ram will not tell you that this was tested
on Chrysler's own shaft dynos
by a forum poster who went by the name dodge3471
YES... thank you for bringing that up. I will first say "dodge3471" hates me more then HankL... but the fact is, "dodge3471" backs up the POWER WIRE and everything it does... he also recommends it to many people. What hank is holding back... was the actual debate to the effects of the POWER WIRE when added with the SUPERCHIPS... But hank left that part out... Just like CNN... Hank, do you work for CNN?

this is the same dodge3471
who was rougher on Air_Ram's nonsense talk
than I have been
Well you call it none sense... it was healthy debate... and Yes dodge3471 was a bit better at it then I was and he did not like me much... LOL. But non the less, he backs up the POWER WIRE and even suggest it as a decent POWER MOD to people... He just does not back it when used with Superchips... and that is STILL VERY debatable.

Didn't he honestly tell you Nick,
that you were 'over your head'
and should put your 4.7 back to factory stock,
or hire a professional ?
NO Hank, I think that was you who suggested that... But you have no idea what your talking about and frankly your over your head now.

What you miss are the PMs we have sent back and forth... you see there are comments and discussions that you completely missed. So your armed with only bits and pieces at best... and that makes people like you dangerous... because you really don't know anything COMPLETELY... just enough to pretend and mislead

Not too long after that,
you paid HemiFever to straighten it out for you with a SCT tune,
which is one of the more sensible things you swallowed your pride and did.
Hank, again... We have been over this once... HEMIFEVER did NOT tune my truck nor did HEMIFEVER receive any money from me... EVER...>LOL

SCT was brand new for the Dodge Rams... and my 3rd Gen Ram was the first one tuned talk about leading from the front... Have you ever lead anything Hank? Hemifever wanted to be part of that and did work with our Tuner and at times offered input... I think HEMIFEVER is a great guy... unfortunately you don't know him as well as I know him... so stop throwing peoples name around like they are your freinds.

It is a wise idea to learn about IAT sensors,
and how to match their readings to ignition timing,
but it is a waste of money to buy a PowerWire
until you understand enough to be certain you don't need it.
Ok Hank here it is, I saved the best for last... are you ready... Since your entire post is based on the support of a "dodge3471" I have done some searching and put together several QUOTES he has made over the years... LOL... And NON of them back up your agenda! Guys this is LONG, but very informative if you chose to read it... But it clearly proves hank lied and has no idea what he is talking about. So.... here they are:

Originally Posted by dodge3471
These quotes where taken from D.O.D.G.E.T.A.L.K.C.O.M.
I don't have any issues with AIRRAM's PW, it works great and no codes. If you have the other one that AIRRAM described it will eventually set a code for the air temp. never changing. Get the real PW and you'll be good to go
Maybe I'll try to track down the cooling system engineer tomorrow and see what he has to say. I wonder when Stant or someone else will have a completely correct replacement in a 180°. I would highly recommend a 180 T-Stat with the use of the PW as the engine will be a lot less prone to spark knock at the 180°F coolant temperature.
The PW for inlet air temp not coolant temp.
On paper the PW on a Hemi will increase fueling by about 2% which is a very small increase. I haven't been able to run it on the dyno yet to confirm but I will soon. Keep in mind the additional 2% is only at medium to heavy loads or WOT so cruising or highway mileage will be affected very very little or not at all. The O2 sensors will still maintain stoichiometric air-fuel-ratio during closed loop. The power wire is a very good mod on a Hemi with no real down side. Just be sure to use at least 91 octane fuel if the air in your area is very dry when it's gets hot.
The 4.7L engine is a very knock limited engine meaning that for most of the engine speeds and loads the spark advance is very retarded from the optimum spark advance. The 2002 Ram 4.7L SO does not use knock sensors for feedback to the PCM, so you have a very knock sensitive engine without any ability to retard the spark advance if necessary. The end result is a very conservative factory spark advance calibration for 87 octane fuel. This is why the 4.7L responds so well to a programmer and the PW when high octane fuel is used. The 4.7L engine, because it is so knock sensitive, needs an aggressive amount of spark retard in the calibration for hot and dry inlet air conditions. When high octane fuel is used the spark advance does not need to be reduced nearly as much, if at all, for hot and dry inlet air. With the PW the engine controller does not retard the spark advance because it's getting a cold inlet air temp reading and the engine doesn't spark knock when higher octane fuel is used, so full power is achieved all of the time.
The 5.7L Hemi engine on the other hand is not nearly as knock limited of an engine meaning that it is calibrated very close to optimum spark advance on 89 octane fuel. The Hemi also uses dual engine knock sensors so the calibration is not nearly as conservative as an engine that is calibrated without knock senors. The hot and dry inlet air spark retard calibration on a Hemi does not need to be as aggressive as a 4.7L because the Hemi is less knock sensitive. The Hemi will benefit slightly from the PW but not nearly as much as a JTEC controlled 4.7L. Because the Hemi is not very knock limited and already has a fairly aggressive 89 octane spark advance calibration the gains with a programmer, PW and 93 octane fuel will be much smaller than the 4.7L and most other engines. I would remove the PW when the temps drop below 45°F.
The PW only adds extra fuel at WOT and heavy throttle/high engine loads. During part-throttle and cruising conditions the PW should not effect fuel economy. I have not seen a significant difference in fuel economy with my PW installed. During average driving in warm weather (above 65°F) the PW will prevent the PCM from retarding the spark advance while accelerating or going up hill which will provide more torque/HP. With the PW installed you won't need to apply as much throttle to accelerate or climb hills.
I will probably remove my PW when the daytime average ambient temps. stay below 50°F. The PW will not add any extra fuel during closed loop or part-throttle light to medium engine loads where the O2 sensors are automatically correcting or adapting to maintain the perfect/ideal air-fuel-ratio which is stoichiometric or around 14.7:1 depending on the exact fuel type. Even in WOT conditions the PW will only add about 2.8% more fuel which is nearly insignificant but true. The PW's real advantage is spark advance or more specifically less spark retard or spark reduction. DC needs to calibrate the spark advance surfaces for the worst case scenario which is hot dry air (Arizona.) In hot humid air the engine is much less susceptible to detonation or spark knock so unless you live where it gets very hot and very dry (very low humidity) you can get away with less than the factory calibrated spark retard for hot dry air. The PW will work great it hot dry air as well but you will need to burn a higher octane fuel or the engine will spark knock and the knock sensors will retard the spark advance anyway netting you no real gains. Hope this helps. Good luck.
I am currently running a 180°F t-stat and a PW which work extremely well together. I ran a 180°F t-stat in my Chevy truck year round but I got my Hemi in April so we will see.
The Power Wire will increase the AFR roughly 2.5% at any engine speed and load that requires the AFR to be richer than stoichiometric (14.7:1.) When a speed density engine controller is commanding a AFR richer than 14.7:1 it is in open loop control which is when the stock narrow band O2 sensors are no longer providing feedback to the ECU for fuel adaption. When a speed density ECU is in open loop it is looking at a preprogrammed table that calculates airflow through the engine based on inlet air temperatures and barometer readings (air pressure and/or altitude.) The airflow/air density calculation is used to determine the correct injector pulse width (injector open time) to provide the correct AFR for a given engine speed and load. Unfortunately anything that is done to increase engine power output (airflow through the engine) will create a change in airflow that the engine controller cannot recognize resulting in a leaner than desired AFR. The power wire will help this lean "open loop" condition but only by a very small amount.
No, you will not lose power but you will be running leaner than how the engine was originally calibrated which is as rich as 10.5:1 in some conditions. Optimum power output on a normally aspirated gasoline engine is usually achieved somewhere between 12.5:1-13.0:1 AFR. You will not see power start to drop off until you are leaner than around 13.0:1 AFR at WOT. The power wire is a good mod and I use one on my truck during the warmer months in MI. I remove it before winter when the daytime high temperatures are below 45°F. If you live in an area where it is hot and dry (Arizona or similar) you should run premium fuel when using the power wire to keep the engine from spark knocking when the spark advance is not reduced as much for the hot inlet air temperatures. Hot humid air is OK with 87 or 89 octane fuel as the humidity acts like higher octane fuel and suppresses the spark knock.
AIRRAM is partially correct and partially incorrect in that statement. What he meant was that the O2 sensors will adapt to maintain stoichiometric or 14.7:1 AFR during closed loop or part throttle light to medium engine loads but at high engine speeds and medium to heavy loads (open loop) the desired AFR will be the same but the actual AFR will be leaner. Something that needs to be clarified is that the range of adaptability varies by engine and engine controller. I want to say that the O2 sensors have the authority to add or subtract fueling by around 30%-33% in closed loop operation. Engine controllers are usually programmed to stop adapting above a certain RPM and load because at higher RPM's and engine loads the engine needs to be richer than 14.7:1 anyway so it is pointless to allowing the fueling to adapt out at those engine speeds and loads. Airflow enhancing mods will not change the desired AFR that is programmed into the calibration but they will lean down the actual AFR. The power wire is a good mod when used with premium fuel in hot and dry conditions (Arizona.)

Ok guys... there are HUNDREDS of post like this by the same man HankL holds in such high regard... Its clear what hanks agenda is... You make the call.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR RAM; 11-22-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

OMG! This thread is making me dizzy. Enough with the quote's already. Geeez

It is a resistor but if there's someone out there that thinks they know how to make one, then stop the nonsense and make a bunch and sell them. Otherwise, let people "waste" their money if they want for a finished product that's plu'n'play. As with everything, if you know how and have the resources you can always save money. But you have to know how first! go to radio shack and buy some resistors and beat on your truck to find out which one works and then let me know....lol

Old 11-22-2008, 01:09 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by dirtydog
OMG! This thread is making me dizzy. Enough with the quote's already. Geeez

It is a resistor but if there's someone out there that thinks they know how to make one, then stop the nonsense and make a bunch and sell them. Otherwise, let people "waste" their money if they want for a finished product that's plu'n'play. As with everything, if you know how and have the resources you can always save money. But you have to know how first! go to radio shack and buy some resistors and beat on your truck to find out which one works and then let me know....lol

I know... Sorry for all the "Quotes"... It was an attempt to make a point... Not sure if it was made or not. At this point it does not really matter... Hank is like an ant trying to stop a train... Not much he could say or do to stop the train. The problem is, he does sneak around and attack us without anyone even challenging his BS. So when I do get the opportunity to set the record straight... I set it.

If you take the time to read some of those "Quotes" by dodge3471... they are VERY informative about the bag of resistors your suggesting.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR RAM; 11-22-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:07 AM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

lol very well played. backup quotes are there. point very made.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR RAM
... Hank is like an ant trying to stop a train. AIR RAM
Thank you Air_Ram
I will take that as a complement.

The courage, determination, hard work, and amazing organizational skills of ants are extraordinary. They go right ahead and do what has to be done without hesitation, despite danger, no matter the size of the job.

Do any of us humans deserve such a favorable comparison?

I will keep trying to 'tell it like it is' without regard to the insults that might come from those trying to rake in more undeserved money.

We are about to go through a very hard time
because there were too few 'ants'
on Wall Street
who would speak up and stand against
those speaking nonsense and deception ... now we all will suffer.

Now whenever I feel a bit tired,
and wonder if it is worth typing in a post reply,
I will pause
and take strength from
the image of
a determined but solitary ant
going forward,
despite the odds.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Air_Ram
I will take that as a complement.

The courage, determination, hard work, and amazing organizational skills of ants are extraordinary. They go right ahead and do what has to be done without hesitation, despite danger, no matter the size of the job.

Do any of us humans deserve such a favorable comparison?

I will keep trying to 'tell it like it is' without regard to the insults that might come from those trying to rake in more undeserved money.

We are about to go through a very hard time
because there were too few 'ants'
on Wall Street
who would speak up and stand against
those speaking nonsense and deception ... now we all will suffer.

Now whenever I feel a bit tired,
and wonder if it is worth typing in a post reply,
I will pause
and take strength from
the image of
a determined but solitary ant
going forward,
despite the odds.
What is this? Does it has anything to do with the topic of the power wire at all? Talk about a thread ruiner, thanks HankL.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:22 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
What is this? Does it has anything to do with the topic of the power wire at all? Talk about a thread ruiner, thanks HankL.
Well Hank is well known for his antics... he himself has been run out of many forums in the past few years... members eventually get tired of his ignorance.

BUT I must point out that his ignorance to attack me has only led to a LARGE amount of information to be posted on the subject topic... of course it was posted to back up a point... but the answers to the subject are in the quotes...

He never stops, sometimes its comical to read his post... but after a while you just rather he would run off and play with the rest of the children.

His first impressions are that he is informative... but it takes a long time to realize he really knows very little and post with an agenda... not facts, not experience... just a hidden agenda to make his point....(Again Im starting to think he works for CNN)

Some of us who have been around for a while know him and call him out on his BS all the time.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR RAM; 11-22-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: so called power wire