3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

serious power adders for the 4.7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyehard
i looked up that superchips and saw that it does cover the 07 4.7 so i guess my question is does it really make a huge difference would it be better to get the superchips or get my pcm flashed i want to get the ported heads and ho cam
Yes, the SC 3815 I bought last summer has been great. The part throttle response is much improved on the 87 tune. No mpg difference, but drivability is MUCH better. I have not removed the tune yet. Hmm, maybe I'll try the 91 tune now that it's hot out. Yes, a 3815. It does not have all the tranny tuning the 3865 has, but at the time that was not available. 3815s are a bargain now, and they do cut out some TM. You can also datalog with it, and monitor gauge info realtime.

ive seen a lot of guys on here fun the tci torque converter what is the science behind that i here that the stock trans from dodge is not very good at transfering the power through the drivetrain would the new tc really help
It can, if you get one with a higher stall speed. This means the converter is working to multiply engine torque to a higher rpm than stock. I suggest getting a Transgo shift kit. It isn't too tough to install, and does firm up shifting. It will help save clutch life because it shortens your shifts.

Originally Posted by jmr;
Being a 2008 4.7 RAM owner I'm curious what specifically changed in 2008 to gain 75HP?
What was tweaked with the heads and what are the port flow numbers? Anybody know if the cam or intake/exhaust manifolds have changed?

For six years I owned a 2002 Dakota 2WD QC with the 4.7 and 3.55 gears and it ran pretty good but this 08 engine really cranks.

I did read something interesting on another forum. The member stated that he actually talked to a powertrain engineer and was told that the revised 4.7 PCM detunes power output by 10%. Hmmm maybe a Mopar Stage 1 PCM is in the works....another 10% would be in Hemi territory.
See page one of this thread for the details... different intake, different heads, a little more CR, dual plugs.

Last edited by davb673; 05-17-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: converter
Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AIR RAM
I have run both and would have to side with the JBA headers... I can get you either set... but from the sets I have seen the JBA where of better quality.

Also, I would not add headers until you have addressed the true restrictions of your exhaust system.

Your factory "Y" pipe is the single greatest restriction in the system. Make sure you address that with a HIGH FLOW "Y" pipe. I would go from the factory primary tubes (2.25") to the "Y" and merge that into a SINGLE 3" system useing a SINGLE 3" CAT & HIGH FLOW MUFFLER. After you have completed that set up you will be ready for headers. But until then your headers will only flow as much as your greatest restriction will allow. This is why some people claim headers don't work on the 4.7L... because they never address the greater restrictions in the system first.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
I second that, but add the muffler is the #2 restriction. I took a close look at my factory muffler inlet, and the pipe necks down from the 3" to what looks like 2.5". That was disappointing to learn...
Thanks Nick. I am also considering headers, but after I swap the muffler out. I'll have to remember JBAs.

Last edited by davb673; 05-17-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Michael0077
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an 07 qc with the 4.7 and im on the hunt for some more power ive thought about the 5.7 or 6.1 swap but i dont have to get to crazy i would like to get some 08 semi hemi heads and ecm flash along with full exhaust i just cant find any where to get those nor do i know what all goes into changing to those heads if any of you guys in the know could pass on some of that info id greatly appreciate it
my best mod was superchip 3865
well worth the money

Old 04-14-2015, 07:51 PM
TexasPower4.7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08" Ram 4.7

Originally Posted by jmr
Being a 2008 4.7 RAM owner I'm curious what specifically changed in 2008 to gain 75HP?
What was tweaked with the heads and what are the port flow numbers? Anybody know if the cam or intake/exhaust manifolds have changed?

For six years I owned a 2002 Dakota 2WD QC with the 4.7 and 3.55 gears and it ran pretty good but this 08 engine really cranks.

I did read something interesting on another forum. The member stated that he actually talked to a powertrain engineer and was told that the revised 4.7 PCM detunes power output by 10%. Hmmm maybe a Mopar Stage 1 PCM is in the works....another 10% would be in Hemi territory.
I own a 08" QC 4.7 TRX4. SuperChips is claiming that I now have 358HP and 390ft lbs of tourque. Not sure how true it is but will say I can take new Cummins and most deisels in a race. Lots of get up for the engine size. Looking into a can and nitrous next. Also this is my first time on any forum. Do yalls 4.7 compare to mine? I also have a 6" lift with 35"s and have topped out @ 125mph

Quick Reply: serious power adders for the 4.7?