3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil change indicator on dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:24 AM
young-gun
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change indicator on dashboard?

How do you reset it?...I got my oil changed at the dealership when the oil change indicator turned on in the odometer. It turned on when i first got out of the dealership parking lot. I thought that it would go away since it would detect the oil levels automatically but apparently this isnt the case. Did the dealership rip me off by forgetting to change the oils or did they just forget to reset it for me?...Its extremely annoying to hear a chime everytime you get in the car...

Old 11-30-2008, 12:26 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

I've never had that for me, but for my two cents, it might be like the check engine light when it resets itself. It could be after so many starts of recognizing a change it'll reset itself. If not, there might be something in the book on how to reset the light. If you don't get a better answer, I'd check in there.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 AM
jstmahoney
Captain

I think they did that on the 06's and up. I can't remember, but i think it was turn the truck to on, but not the engine. and then floor it three times, turn it off, then start the engine. Im not 100% sure. one of the 06+ guys will chime in.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:29 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

key to acc and press the gas pedal to the floor 3 times...wait for the light to either start flashing or go out and then start the truck up.
My 00 silverado was that way and I remember another post that it was the same way.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:42 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

reset is as the guy's above say. your are misinformed if you think the oil change light has anything to do with oil level? the light is controlled but the truck to let you know when to change the oil not if it's low. you can reset the light and not change the oil and the truck wont know

Old 12-01-2008, 05:25 PM
young-gun
Rookie

Got the chime and indicator out of the dash by the reset method above...thanks guys

Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

You might want to check to see if they even changed your oil. Let a little out and see if its clean. If it is, then the dealership just forgot to reset the light. If its dirty, then they didnt even touch it.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 PM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge it then ram it
You might want to check to see if they even changed your oil. Let a little out and see if its clean. If it is, then the dealership just forgot to reset the light. If its dirty, then they didnt even touch it.
Can't you just look at the dipstick? Much easier. Red

Quick Reply: Oil change indicator on dashboard?