3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 4.7L oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 PM
dazed01
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR RAM
Yeah, you will need to LIFT the engine to get the pan off... The OIL pick up is in the way and without lifting the engine you will not be able to get the pan off.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
That sucks

Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 PM
unkl Dutch

Originally Posted by AIR RAM
Yeah, you will need to LIFT the engine to get the pan off... The OIL pick up is in the way and without lifting the engine you will not be able to get the pan off.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

yep.......... and a lack of proper tools, no garage, and cold as he## temps here kinda slaps me in tha face.......... looks like my pocket is gonna get taken for a ride on this one........ i dont think i have any other options other than havin it towed to a shop

Old 11-30-2008, 03:05 PM
unkl Dutch

so i put her on a flat bed and get her to the shop....... unload it, and start it to move it into a parking spot and..............everything is fine?!?!?! no tickin, full oil pressure, sounds and runs great.......... i left it there for someone to take a look at it anyways....

any new theories???????

Old 11-30-2008, 04:31 PM
dazed01
Veteran

Originally Posted by unkl Dutch
so i put her on a flat bed and get her to the shop....... unload it, and start it to move it into a parking spot and..............everything is fine?!?!?! no tickin, full oil pressure, sounds and runs great.......... i left it there for someone to take a look at it anyways....

any new theories???????
crap floating around in your oil pan

Old 11-30-2008, 05:55 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

mmstar went through this on his 4.7. He dropped the pan, cleaned her up real well and ran several back to back oil changes and he was able to save it.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
unkl Dutch

the shop i took it to said its the pressure releif valve on the sending unit....... i dunno, i had low oil pressure on my gauges in the truck and they said it was actually reading high............ dunno....... $700 bucks out the door i guess............. thank you for all your responses.

Unkl Dutch

Old 12-01-2008, 12:37 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If im not mistaken our Oil Gauge is ON/OFF... So it will not give you an actual indication of actual Oil Pressure... so if there is an issue... its OFF... if pressure is good its ON...

I would check the sending unit... but the "TICKING" is what has me worried... If it was running without ticking then something has to be intermittently restricting oil flow.

Check the pan, clean it out... run some "FLUSH" through it and then some FULL SYNTHETIC oil. That shold brake down any crud and allow it to drain out the pan.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 AM
KMatts
Question Oil pressure dropped down to nothing on a freshly rebuilt 4.7L

I bought this 2000 Durango with 118,000 miles. had lots of sludge inside and a spun bearing. Pulled the motor, had block and crank machined, replaced the bad connecting rod and piston, got all new parts and put it back together. Started right up after a year and a half of sitting around in a million pieces in my garage. So, now I’ve got a fresh 4.7L with everything new from top to bottom – bearings, rings, seals, gaskets, filters, timing chains, tensioners, guides, freeze plugs, connecting rod bolts, and of course oil pump. I did re-use the old oil pick-up tube after a complete clean up. I still have a misfiring issue to figure out but my biggest concern right now is the loss of oil pressure. Specs on my book says 4 to 80 psi to be normal... Personally I think 4psi to be a little concerning myself. But anyway, at first, the oil pressure gauge on the dash read about 40psi @ 2000rpm. Let the motor idle for a minute and watched it, then, pressure dropped off to 0. Alarmed, I shut it off, pulled the sending unit off the motor and put in a mechanical gauge. Started it up and watched it. It read 15psi at idle and around 45 @ 2000rpm. Never dropped off to 0. I figured the sensor was bad so I replaced it with a new one. Started up the motor and watched it. Gauge on dash read 30psi at idle and 60 @2000rpm, then, it dropped off to 0 triggering the Check Engine light. Could I just have another bad sensor or a bigger problem? Any thoughts on what this could be? Appreciate it!

Old 03-19-2014, 08:24 PM
jason wayne

I have done the exact same thing as you. I rebuilt the engine my self new oil pump and all, and I am loosing oil pressure at idle and after running for a while it drops off completely... WTF? Now my brand new bottom end is knocking and the top end is ticking. No sludge! only running synthetic and I've only got 15 miles on it since rebuilt. Is dodge really ignoring this. Because I'm out $3200+ not including what I bought the truck for, or my labor or the fact that I have been into this motor five times now. I'm so sick over all this. my son is 7 months old I live in the projects and now I'm not only broke but still without a vehicle. anyone else want to go after dodge for this........... who's with me?

Quick Reply: 02 4.7L oil pressure problem