3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

When is a 4x4 RAM 1500 not a 4x4??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:05 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trucks with the lever still use electronics to lock the hubs. Sure, you've physically activated the transfer case but it won't do you any good if the hubs won't lock so there's still a chance for failure.

HammerZ71 -

Does your truck's VIN come back to a Laramie? If I recall, the Laramie package included the "****" setup as standard equipment. You sure yours isn't a rebadged SLT with optional leather? I think that steering wheel radio controls were also exclusive to the Laramie but don't hold me to it. Maybe it's all different depending on year.

When I was shopping for a Ram, I looked for a Laramie with the tow package. That was a quick way to make sure I was checking the box for "every possible option" which is harder to do when shopping used and going by some very sparse Auto Trader descriptions.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Geed
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on my problem... I just called the dealer and they said my truck is not going into 4x4 mode because the speed sensor got crushed when the leveling kit was installed??!?!

From what I remember I think they are refering to the wire that runs along the upper control arm of the driver's side front tire and looks like it goes to the brake caliper. I remember reading in the leveling kit instructions that care needed to be taken with that wire too. The funny thing is that I tested 4x4 mode after the leveling kit was installed and it did work! The only thing I can think of is that the wire was getting pinched over time and finally broke or something.

Now I have to go fight with the aftermarket shop that did the leveling kit...uuggghhh!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:43 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nim81
this is exactly why i will only buy a truck with manual transfer case shifter!!!
when i bought my truck they were pushing me to get a 04 ram with the 5.7 and electronic shift, i told them that the electronic %hit is not for me and they acted like i was a weirdo or somthing, they said , "oh my goodness why would you want to use all that energy to mess around with the shifter ****??" jeez stupid salesman.

Good luck finding new one's that are floor shift. They are all converting to push button. Me personally, the fighting and nonsense of the shift lever in your way on the floor isn't worth it to me. I'd much rather turn a **** or push a button. Once you have it, you'll never go back. It's so easy. Actually, I refused to even look at trucks with the floor shift after owning my Silverado with the button 4x4. As with anything, there are ups and downs, but the levers can still break and have just as much trouble as the electronic buttons

Old 12-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking into trucks it was more work and movement to use the switch *** were as the floor i just had to flick the wrist and it was in and i also like it a lot more seems more of a truck thing and i like the *** as i used to drive a manual but the electronic **** is just to far compared to just moving the wrist maybe its just the way i drive

Old 12-22-2008, 07:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by John M
The trucks with the lever still use electronics to lock the hubs. Sure, you've physically activated the transfer case but it won't do you any good if the hubs won't lock so there's still a chance for failure.

HammerZ71 -

Does your truck's VIN come back to a Laramie? If I recall, the Laramie package included the "****" setup as standard equipment. You sure yours isn't a rebadged SLT with optional leather? I think that steering wheel radio controls were also exclusive to the Laramie but don't hold me to it. Maybe it's all different depending on year.

When I was shopping for a Ram, I looked for a Laramie with the tow package. That was a quick way to make sure I was checking the box for "every possible option" which is harder to do when shopping used and going by some very sparse Auto Trader descriptions.
Nope, sticker on window said "Laramie" and I just checked the build sheet I ordered a year or so ago, states it as well. Even had the "Laramie" badge on the tailgate until I did a partial de-badge a couple years ago...

Old 11-27-2016, 11:38 PM
Ron Slick Konowalyk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front axle acuator problem

hi i have a 03ram 1500 4x4 floor shift hooked up a 08 front axle in can i put a switch to power up acuator?

Quick Reply: When is a 4x4 RAM 1500 not a 4x4??