3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Throttle Body Cleaning (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The coating is like a Teflon that is supposed to keep the crap from sticking to it, but it doesn't really work too good.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Grey-Ghost
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good i'm not the other one from louisville ky who knows a lot about our trucks

Old 12-23-2008, 02:43 AM
abarmby
Champion

Use brake cleaner on TB's only.
Keep the TB electronics uppermost, to let any excess solvent drain AWAY from the electronics with gravity, as it will destroy them. TB's are VERY expensive!
Do not spray solvent into the TB. Rather, take a clean rag with the solvent to the TB. That way, you control how much solvent is on the TB.
Do not use wire brushes or anything like that to clean off the TB.
The brake cleaner WILL take care of it and only use a soft bristle tooth brush on any stubbon deposits, to loosen them.
Do not force open the TB blade. The actuator at the end of the TB controling the blade is easily damaged.
Open the TB blade slowly and only just enough, to get at the edges of the blade to remove the deposits built up there.
When you bolt it all back up, do a TB calibration.
Switch the ignition to the on position. Do not crank the engine, but press fully down and let fully up 5 times, in 1 second intervals on the accelerator pedal. Then switch the ignition off.
After this, start the truck and your TB is now calibrated for WOT.
Finally, always stuff a clean rag into the intake whilst the TB is off the engine. That will stop anything from falling into the intake.
Hope all this helps?
AL.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM
dodgequad05
Rookie

I wouldn't use brake cleaner I think that is also corrosive as well. They do sell just TB cleaner at the auto parts store. After I clean the TB manually and put everything back together, I will start the vehicle and disconnect a vaccum hose (usually EGR line) somewhere before the TB, closer the better. Then I'll spray the cleaner in the intake while the engine is running so that it will clean the rest of the intake from the TB to the combustion chamber. I will be attempting this for the first time on my recently purchased dodge 1500, but usually I have to manually open the TB to keep the engine from dying so not sure how I'm going to handle that on the non-mechanicial TB. May have to use one of those steering wheel locks that I have lying around somewhere to hold the pedal down.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I just cleaned mine yesterday with brake cleaner and it worked great. I used a nylon and a brass detail brush. And ive never heard of the TBs having a special teflon coating.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:22 AM
bakerman
Professional

WOW! I know your post if from about 9 years ago, but FINALLY I found out how to do a good TB cleaning without screwing the thing up! Thanks so much, man! (BTW, I was thinking about brake cleaner, but not sure if that would damage the surface of the butterfly.)

Old 04-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't use brake cleaner on the throttle body. Throttle bodies have a special coating certain cleaners can strip, such as chlorinated brake cleaners. Definitely don't use carburetor cleaner on a throttle body.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Cleaning (with pics)