3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:15 AM
thefew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Problems please help

Good morning. I am dealing with a 2008 Ram 1500 with the Hemi engine. The A/C clutch will not engage. The compressor spins freely and does not bind or grind. The truck is not throwing any codes. I took the A/C clutch connector off and I am getting a constant 12 volts with the A/C switch on or off. I hooked up my A/C gauges and the system has 90 lbs of pressure on the high and low side (pressure evens out if the system has not run for a while) so there are no leaks. What is going on with this truck? Thanks.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:08 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you checked to see if it's getting power when you engage the AC inside? If it's free spinning fine then it isn't engaging either because it isn't getting power or the clutch is fragged.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:03 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Pressures are too low. Sounds like it maybe time for a charge.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Logan Racca
Default a/c problems

I am having a problem with my a/c in my 2001 ram 1500. I changed almost all a/c parts except things internally in the plenum box. I changed clutch, compressor, accumulator tank, and i even changed the blend door actuator. The only air that comes out when max a/c is on is out the defrost vents. any ideas????????

Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by thefew
Good morning. I am dealing with a 2008 Ram 1500 with the Hemi engine. The A/C clutch will not engage. The compressor spins freely and does not bind or grind. The truck is not throwing any codes. I took the A/C clutch connector off and I am getting a constant 12 volts with the A/C switch on or off. I hooked up my A/C gauges and the system has 90 lbs of pressure on the high and low side (pressure evens out if the system has not run for a while) so there are no leaks. What is going on with this truck? Thanks.
90psi static pressure should be enough to close the low pressure switch.
dtc for the ac system can be set in the pcm, tipm and hvac controller so check each module. a full function scan tool may be needed to access all the modules.

if no dtc, and power to the compressor is good, check the resistance of the clutch coil. its should be approx 3.6 ohms....maybe the clutch coil wiring is open.